Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Post hijacks browser

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 11:18

There's a thread on the Household Finance forum about GE Money Bank, about 40 posts to the thread. Someone posted to the thread recently, and the browser automatically goes to some bogus (I assume) search page. You have to back out, but now I am wondering if there is something embedded there that will come back to bite me. This is really the worst I've seem on GardenWeb in more than 12 years here.

So, should I be taking other action to protect my computer?

I think I am linking to the thread, but I can't seem to go there for more than a few seconds without being grabbed.

Try http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/finance/
instead of my link to be safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: hijacking thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Post hijacks browser

I definitely would NOT use that link if you are on windows computer it does send you to a RED listed wot page it is a re-direct.
I do not know if it tries to install because I only tried it with my linux pc.

You might want to run a malwarebytes scan just to make sure it did not install anything.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware

Some one needs to notify the powers that be on GW to quickly remove that thread.

o

I did notify The Powers this morning. They removed another similar thread last week, but I just noticed this one was embedded in an old thread.

Will run the Malwarebytes!

o

It does not appear to try installing. Simply a redirect it seems. Aggravating nonetheless.

o

Where/how does one notify the Powers?
I thot I had the email address but am unable to locate it.

The Name the Animal Forum is filled with such posts
http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/name/

And you're correct, this is the worst it's been in 12 years (14 for me)

Here is a link that might be useful: is this forum in trouble or not?

o

I think this entire site is in trouble. Every forum I visit at Gardenweb has spam and I haven't seen any attempt at removal. Maybe just change the name to spam-a-lot and be done with it. Spike was a knucklehead but he wouldn't have allowed this to go on.

o

It is looking like to me there is some problem in the actual code that makes up the pages here and those issues are allowing some not so good stuff to be inserted, that can be very dangerous.

o

I emailed this link to Tamara just now. I know everyone is very security conscious. Including GW.

Nancy

o

Jean, on the main page of each forum, at the bottom, there's a link called "Technical Problems". Click there. Be sure to include links to the thread in question, the name of the offending poster and a link to the poster's "My page".

I reported it this morning, and it's not been fixed. Perhaps people are on Easter/Passover vacation this week?

o

Jean, on the main page of each forum, at the bottom, there's a link called "Technical Problems".
You can also use the Contact Us link found in the green banner at the bottom of every page and it will take you to the same form. As Sushi suggests, it is always best to include the links to troublesome threads in your email, and the member's name.

Perhaps people are on Easter/Passover vacation this week?
Surely there is someone at the wheel, don't you think?

o

"Surely there is someone at the wheel, don't you think?"

I have no expectations along these lines....

o

It's all cleaned up this morning, thank you, Tamara!

o

Yay! Tamara to the rescue, I've met her, she's a good gal and really does watch are backs.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here