Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing passwords in an email

Posted by maire_cate (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 10:10

I hope I'm asking this correctly. At home I keep my passwords and logins in a small notebook in a safe place. I used to remember the ones I used frequently but now that I change them more often that's a little too difficult.

I was wondering if it's safe to type them into an email and then move it to an email folder so that I can readily retrieve them if I'm away from home. I wouldn't include any account numbers just passwords.

I am aware there are sites that will encrypt this information but an email would be simpler - I'm just not sure it it's secure. And it's something I could share with my DH if he had to assume bill paying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing passwords in an email

I hide my small notebook in the office, there's plenty of safe places. My problem is remembering WHERE!

I have often wondered this but was to embarrassed to ask.

Who are we hiding them from?

o

NO I would never store something like that in an email account they are too easily hacked then they have every password including access to your email address, with that they could change any password including the one to your email and lock you out of everything. Much to risky.

I keep a notebook with all of mine in a very secure location. It can be a hassle and take time to look them up but I prefer to take those extra few seconds for my security.

o

In my case, while I do have a printed copy of all my passwords (for email, message boards, Amazon, etc.) I also have two online copies, one of which is at my Hushmail account. Hushmail has full-time SSL for its webmail and it has the option of encrypting messages, so I simply encrypted my password list. (And in all those places I sometimes only have a password hint instead of the actual password.)

I also use the LastPass extension with FF for actually logging in for many of them, so LP will also store a local copy. (LP is great because it's hard to remember -- or manually type each time -- 30+ character passwords.)

o

Similar, but different.

There is a promotion that prior to traveling to send yourself an e-mail with your driver's license number, your hospitalization number, and the account numbers of the credit cards you chose to take along with their 1-800 numbers. The cardholders name, the expiration dates, and the backside security codes are not to be included. The e-mail subject used is something generic.

The thought is if while away something negative happens to your purse/wallet a remedy is quite handy. All you need is a secure Internet connection.

DA

o

Maybe open a small picture.jpg with a text editor.
Go to the end of the data and put your secret info there.
rename and save it as a picture.jpg

mail it to your online account ? upload to dropbox or whatever

o

Mike,

I like it. Are you CIA or KGB? :)

DA

o

hahahaa that is a pretty creative idea. should we call you James Bond LOL

I store a lot of my stuff online at Adrive they provide a lot of storage free and you can then access it from any pc anywhere. Just have to remember the password to your Adrive account.

http://www.adrive.com/

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the sites mentioned and try to pick the simplest.

I do appreciate your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here