SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Windows 8 Removing Apps, Control Panel?

jerry_nj
11 years ago

I just received my new Gateway 17.3" laptop and just have it running/activated.

I'd like to remove the factory apps I am not interested in, such as Norton. But I can't find the Control Panel, the old "Windows" key just takes me to the W8 tiles. I assume there is a control panel under there somewhere, and that is still how to uninstall software.

So far I think I can in general move to W8 using my XP/W7 experience, as when I click on the DeskTop tile it takes me to the W7-like desktop and W8 puts my installed apps in the lower tool bar, e.g., Explorer and File was already there and when I installed Firefox, an icon appeared in the tool bar, just I I would like.

This is a work in progress, learning W8, but I looks like the path forward raises only a few stumbling blocks I'll learn to live with, or better, use. I already miss the "Start" offerings, such as string search, and control panel. I hope to find both are just a click away, must be buried in the tiles of W8.

I like too the 17.3" screen, I can now see what I'm typing without glasses when the screen is at arm's length - as it is when used as a laptop.

Comments (8)