Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MS Security Tools...any advantage?

Posted by evenshade (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 8:59

I receive a newsletter called Windows Secrets. The current issue has an article on MS's free security tools. I'm currently using MSE, Malwarebytes and Super-Anti Spyware and they have served me well. I'm usually a subscriber to the "if it ain't broke..." philosophy but security is important to me. Should I stick with what I have or is it simply a matter of personal preference? Thank you.

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/microsofts-six-free-desktop-security-tools/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MS Security Tools...any advantage?

Your link gives an error 404 message but I suspect it was meant to go here.

Fred Langa, the author has been around giving solid advice from way back in the stone age it seems.

Only you can decide on the benefits of expanding or changing your safety program. For myself I have had MSE since the day Microsoft released it and have been very comfortable with it.

Just this week I felt the need to run an online scan and Malwarebytes but was advised I was 81 days out of date. I make this comment just to show I do not over use Malwarebytes yet my computer stays safe enough. As long as my MSE icon stays green I am comfortable.

Of the tools mentioned in the article the only one I have never used is the MS Security Scanner.

o
RE: MS Security Tools...any advantage?

I'm sorry about the link, owbist...yes, that's the one I meant. I think I'll just stay on the same track I'm on now. Thanks so much for your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here