Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So which Firefox version is best?

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 7:51

Since we've been getting bombarded with the message "You need to update to latest version..." I've read all the info on this forum, plus have done some one line research on this topic.

Quite frankly, I'm confused. We have two machines - one a PC running XP SP3 and one a Mac. There seems to be a lot of negative comments regarding the latest version. Some of my research seems to indicate version 8 has the fewest problems.

I appreciate any input for this non-techy guy.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So which Firefox version is best?

Some of the Firefox upgrades in recent months have been more focused on development rather than usage though not all. That being said, it has been regularly claimed that all versions have had some security improvements. Taking that claim on face value I would say v8.0 is not appropriate.

I have read some of the reported concerns regarding v12.0 and too was hesitant. The other day out of boredom I let v12.0 install and have had no concerns. As I reported on another thread the FF claim of all add-ons being compatible beginning with v11.0 must have fallen to the wayside as I lost one add-on to incompatibility. Grandms reported she did too.

If you do not wish to upgrade to v12.0 you should upgrade to at least v11.0.

Firefox v13.0 beta 1 was released today.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Filehippo

o

I don't spend a lot of time agonizing over which version of Firefox I'm running. I just upgraded to v. 12.0 several weeks ago and it's running fine. My view is that someone, somewhere, will always have a problem with any upgrade, but most don't. And, if I ever do have a problem, I'll just uninstall/reinstall, or uninstall and go back to the previous version. But do upgrade to some newer version so that you have more security improvements.

o

Version 13 just came out in Beta-

o

I downloaded it and have had not a problem of any kind.

o

O.K. I downloaded ver 12 for Mac. I searched the firefox help forum but can't find the answer for a question.

When I first start Firefox I get the home page with the Google toolbar, plus the message:

Love Firefox? Want to help make our next version even better? Download Firefox Beta and give us feedback today!

Then below that is restore previous session. How do I get the new version to just bring up the home page with asking if I want to help, etc.

Thanks

o

Back out of that window you have and then open Firefox. That worked for me.

o

Don, what do you mean by back out of that window? This is the window that comes up when I open Firefox.

Thanks
Steve

o

For the first time when you install the latest version it takes you to the firefox page to confirm your updated then after that it will open to your regular home Page. So close and reopen.

o

Ravencajun, it did confirm that I had updated after I installed it.

Maybe I'm not explaining this right. Before I upgraded, when I opened Firefox I'd get the picture of the fox circling the earth, underneath that would be Google, then a blank space to type in a search and that was all. Now I get that, plus underneath either "Love Firefox? Want to help make our next version even better?" or "Using Firefox on several computers? Now you can synchronize your add-ons across them all. Find out how to activate Sync." along with the box that says "restore previous session."

I'd just like to have the page like it was before. Am I making sense?

o

Had the same problem myself when updated to FF12.
Go to Tools>Options>General. It'll have your home page URL listed there. It SHOULD be
http://www.google.com/

You might find there are a few extra letters tacked onto the end. Just delete them so it reads same as I've put above.

Regards,
Shax

o

http://search.yahoo.com/
works well too, no extra graphical thills = search box only.

and usually a link under the search box to quickly/easily make it your home page

Here is a link that might be useful: http://search.yahoo.com/

o

shax, thanks for the info, but when I try to do what you suggest, I don't have any options showing under tools. Just web search, download, addons, set up sync, web developer, page info, start private browsing, clear recent history and adblock plus.

I tried using the Firefox help, but don't seem to find anything there.

Thanks
Steve

o

Steve...
that's weird! I have "Options" 2nd from the bottom of the list, directly above WOT...maybe a Mac thing yours has?

Another way...
Start>Control Panel>Internet Options.
You'll see your home page URL there. Once again, ensure it's the same as the one I listed in my previous post...

Failing that, maybe a complete uninstall and reinstall of FF12 (using one of the other browsers I'm SURE you have on your computer) ;>D

Regards,
Shax

o

Shax, thanks for the info. The setup on the Mac Firefox is different for some reason.

I was able to get what I wanted by going under Preferences, typing in the URL on the Home Page blank, selected use as home page, and Voila! solved the problem.

Appreciate everyone's help.

o

My lost add-on upgraded a couple of days ago. I do admit the loss time was not inconvenient.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here