Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IE 8 Question? Or is it a Yahoo Question?

Posted by luis_pr (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 6:11

I have IE 8 running on a Windows XP SP3, Dell XPS 400 Desktop PC and a Yahoo Toolbar. Ihave recently noticed some odd behaviours that I was wondering if anyone in similar scenarios was having.

Sometimes when I exit IE, the window goes away and another one starts all over again. For example, I had been in yahoo, finished my business there by logging off and then hit the 'X' in the upper right to exit IE. The screen went away and another one popped up in my default starting webpage.

Another time, I was using Yahoo to search some information. When I clicked some of the hits, another IE Session would not start (that is ok) and another tab would get started. When I was done reading that tab, I would exit the tab by clicking the 'X' on the tab and another tab on that same webpage would start. I had to kill IE using Ctrl/Alt/Del.

I have successfully checked my Windows Updates, scanned the PC with Adware, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes and found no issues.

The common denominator was that Yahoo had been recently used and I was loading/exiting webpages. Any idea why this happens? I could find a way to detect what version of a Yahoo toolbar I have so I did not post that info above.

TIA, Luis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IE 8 Question? Or is it a Yahoo Question?

Do you 'need' the Yahoo toolbar? You can set Yahoo as your search engine by choosing Tools, Manage Add Ons and then click on Search Providers. Choose Yahoo, Click on Toolbars and Extensions and disable Yahoo Toolbar (right click, disable). Restart IE.

The problem with toolbars is that their behavior is unpredictable.

o

So you think I should remove it and see if the problem persists or not? I can try that but I should point out that my searches were not done using the Toolbar. I typed www.yahoo.com and searched from there. But I will try deleting the toolbar and see.

o

If disabling toolbars does not help, you may need to reset IE8. That is through Internet Options on the advanced tab. After resetting IE8, msn will be your homepage. If you need help changing that, I can provide steps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here