SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Computer Security for Dummies

Debbie Downer
12 years ago

Im still recovering from a nasty trojan or actually it was a lethal attack by an assortment of tmany nasty things - basically I had to pay someone to wipe my computer clean and start over. Questions in no particular order....

1. Before wiping computer clean, the data files (eg spreadsheets, pictures, word docs, audio files) were copied onto a flash drive, flash drive was virus scanned and SEEMS to be OK.... but is it really? I find myself really really paranoid and afraid to open up the files for fear of reinfecting.... however, there are a few things on there that I really do not want to lose.... so.... what to do?

2) I read the maintenance list on this forum's FAQ - very thorough. However I was under the impression that you shouldnt have multiple anti-virus programs going because they interfere with each other? The maintenance list had all sorts of various anti spywares, anti-trojans, anti this and anti that.... and of course garden variety antiviruses. So these things don't conflict? And specifically.... WHICH anti-trojan, anti-spyware, anti this and that.... product name would be helpful. I have Microsoft Security Essentials (at the advise of the guy who worked on my computer) and yesterday I added Malwarebytes.

3) A couple days ago the MSE blurb appeared on my computer telling me it was infected, I had to "clean" my computer ... actually I hardly read it because I was kinda freaked out, having a flashback to the previous virus/trojan attack I suffered through a few weeks ago.... the symptoms of that were false security alertsamong other things... thinking maybe it was that same thing again, I shut down my computer and on another computer looked up MSE and realized it was probably a legit warning.... so, went back home, turned on my computer.... only to look in the History tab and find that MSE thought I "approved" the trojan in question!!! And furthermore, there didnt appear to be any way to "UN-APPROVE" it.

The history report said that there was one temp internet file that was in question - so I went and deleted all the temp internet files. I wonder if there isn't still something stilllurking because my internet tonight is going VEEERRRRRYYYY SLLLLOOOWWW and stalling. Ominous. A windows MSE forum said that turning off the computer gives it the "approval." THAT IS INSANE!!!!!! Why would they assume that I either approved or disapproved???

Question: will MSE now not detect that particular trojan that I supposedly approved and am I in danger of getting reinfected from it? If so, I think I need to get rid of it and get another antivirus program .

4) What is the benefit to removing vs. quarantining a virus? There was another trojan besides the one mentioned above, that I had removed.... was that the right thing to do? Why would anyone want to keep a virus around on your computer when you could just remove it?

Comments (9)