Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Free Photo Editing Program

Posted by love2sew (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 0:56

Is there a free program similar to Photoshop to edit photos? I don't need anything as fancy and costly as Photoshop. I am taking a small camera course and plan on doing some landscape photos. I may try changing the contrast to heighten the colors, etc. I am a fiber artist and I want to experiment stitching some landscape pictures.

Thank you for any suggestions you might provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Free Photo Editing Program

Great program .. 'after' the learning curve!

Here is a link that might be useful: GIMP

o

You can also give the online version a try.
(Photoshop)

Here is a link that might be useful: PHOTOSHOP

o

And of course there's Irfanview!

Here is a link that might be useful: IRFANVIEW

o

The GIMP manual in HTML ...

Here is a link that might be useful: GIMP MANUAL

o

I just installed Paint.net yesterday along with a huge array of plugins. Seems a great program.

Currently using Corel PhotoPaint but it is getting ancient so I thought i would give Paint.net a try.

Any serious photo editor has a real learning curve but there are numerous tutorials out there for free

o

With Irfanview be sure to install the plug-ins.

DA

o

Irfanview does everything I need except for erasing scratches. I haven't found that option in it.

o

Emma here is a tutorial on using the clone tool in Irfanview.

He is moving an entire body but using finer brushes is the way to repair damaged photos. You probably know already but I'll write it - be sure to make a copy of your original and work on it so the original is always available and not messed up as you work.

o

Thank you Owbist, I will check into that.

o

I've been using Gimp professionally for about 5 years now, and like it very much. I use it to do ad artwork. It hasn't failed me yet.

o

If you're looking for something free that's akin to Photoshop (meaning actual Photoshop, not Elements) then GIMP is the way to go. The learning curve can be pretty steep, the manual isn't always helpful, but I suspect there some user forums where you could get some help.

o

Well here is one more to look at ...I've used it and I think it's good plus it's FREE...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here