Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I use Kazaa to download songs?

Posted by gogwmos (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 23:50

I downloaded Kazaa, but am not sure how to download songs. I used the download button and got several songs downloaded but they don't play. What do I need to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I use Kazaa to download songs?

Kazaa is a file sharing program

File sharing involves using technology that allows internet users to share files that are housed on their individual computers. Peer-to-peer (P2P) applications, such as those used to share music files, are some of the most common forms of file-sharing technology. However, P2P applications introduce security risks that may put your information or your computer in jeopardy.

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST05-007.html

Joe

o

Thanks Joe, but that doesn't answer my question. I have downloaded a bunch of songs but they won't play. How do I get them to play?

o

You might find your answer here.

o

I suggest you take Zep's warning to heart this is how many of the infections that we end up helping people clean up off of their pc get there. In fact in many of the help forums I am on we will not assist you to clean your pc if you do not remove those dangerous peer to peer programs. Why help to clean it if the behavior will continue and lead right back to infection.
Therefore some of us will not instruct how to install or use them.
If you insist on using them I feel sure google can help you.

Have you by chance manually had your AV and malware programs scan each of those items prior to trying to run them? If not at least do that a song is not always just a song.
Risks of Peer-to-Peer Systems

you should remember that malware may be the least of your worries if you choose to download copyrighted material.

o

I used Kazaa many years ago. I see it's no longer really "P2P file SHARING". They charge now? Probably claim to be buddy buddy with the RIAA now too huh? Incredible. Good luck if you ever decide to cancel membership.

Actually... it's remarkably difficult to get a virus from a media file. Yet possible. Make sure it really is a media file and not some sort of executable. Look at the extension, look for ".mp3", ".wav", ".flac", ".ogg", etc. Do NOT use Windows Media Player, and especially don't install special codecs, WMP might install a virus laden codec automatically. By the way, if you can't see the file extension, it's because Window$, in it's infinite wisdom has decided you're don't need to... Google how to turn them on. :)

What extensions do the files have?

Have you tried VLC(from videolan.org)? P2P'ers recommend it all the time, includes SAFE codecs to play most any media file you're likely to encounter. "Use VLC" is a lazy answer but it almost always solves the problem. If VLC won't play it... delete it... NOW! :D Google/search for info on VLC and install only the official player from videolan.org.

And... if you're paying Kazaa a dishonest $10($9.95) to download and play FREE(?) music, why aren't they quick to help you?

Good luck anyway, perhaps I'm being too negative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here