Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changeover of computer

Posted by kbranksome (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 23:03

Is it difficult to change over my satellite ISP from my old computer to a new one. Do I have to contact my ISP or can I do it myself.
I have added memory and changed over a graphic card before so i'm not an absolute dill with the computer
but I would appreciate help thanks if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changeover of computer

I have never used satellite but normally you would just disconnect the cables from the old one and plug up the new one, they may have provided some software specific for their brand( possibly in a CD or DVD), some ISPs do that but I usually just skip installing it unless it is absolutely necessary and usually it is not.

My guess is just undo connections from back of old pc and hook to new. No reason to contact your ISP.

o

From one Aussie to another!

My satellite connection has only one cable that goes from the "little black box" (technical term!) to the computer, and that's an ethernet cable. I unplug that cable from the back of my PC and plug it into the laptop whenever I feel like it. Leave everything else as is...

Regards,
Shax

o

Shut down both computers. As they report, disconnect and transfer the ethernet cable. Boot up the new computer. Click on the browser icon. That should do it.

DA

o

If you have a little router,, hook that little black box to that.... them both computer to that.

o

Thanks guys,
It was that easy!
Thought it would be more involved than that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here