Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tracking protection?

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 22:47

I re-set my browser. I don't know much about all the stuff listed there. The tracking protection is disabled. When I went to Microsoft site, it displayed tracking protection page for 10 seconds, went blank. If I click on add ons, it comes back again, for only 10 seconds. This is not enough time for me to read anything and am still in the dark. I don't know what a tracking protection list is, what should or shouldn't be on it. Any advise, information or directions to explanations would be real helpful. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Vista with IE9 on Acer Aspire 4720 Z.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tracking protection?

You might try reading about it here.

And possibly adding a list here.

If I were to use IE, I would probably at least add "EasyList Standard", which is "based on" the popular Adblock Plus filter list.

But I don't use IE, so don't know how well it works, or if it still works. Seems like I tried it a long time ago and got the idea it was pretty decent. But like I say, I don't use IE.

I have no idea about this though:

"When I went to Microsoft site, it displayed tracking protection page for 10 seconds, went blank. If I click on add ons, it comes back again, for only 10 seconds."

Edit: Just realized, "EasyList Tracking Protection List" is not exactly "EasyList", just "based on" it.

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 0:06

o

Thanks for the links, I had them both. I still don't understand tracking protection and why do I need it. I've tried the tracking list link, does the same thing, on and off. I've set the tracking protect to enable, tried the list site, no go, tried to disable tracking protect, went to site, it still goes off. guess I'll just leave it disabled. I have too much trouble with settings in IE9, in my opinion it's really poorly written and I need to change to another browser. The time and effort to get this crap to work just isn't worth it. Have never used another browser but will have to learn. Thanks so much for your advice.

o

If I were going to use IE, I'd use a TPL (or Adblock Plus for IE) to reduce ads, that's just me though.

As for another browser, there's several and they all have their following. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera to name a few.

Personally, I always use Firefox. I'm used to it, know where everything is, whatever. :)

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 1:59

o

Thanks, chuggerguy, I really appreciate the input. Also the links, that's very thoughtful of you to have included them for me. The problems I mainly have with IE9 are it shuts down for no apparent reason. Microsoft has 2 new versions, I can't upgrade to them, they weren't written with Vista in mind. Just getting frustrated with IE. Haven't had much of an issue with ads. Just tried your link to Opera, my browser closed. Then opened on Opera page. How odd! anyway, thanks for the info, it really helps. :)

o

It's hard to know from a distance just exactly what may be happening with your PC. Try a different browser - if you see the same periodic "closing" or "shutdowns", the problem your having is caused by the PC, not the browser program. Sorry if I've said this to you before, but any PC with Vista still in use has outlived many of its contemporaries already.

I'd suggest you can ignore the tracking protection topic. If you don't understand it, it's then probably not something you need to concern yourself with.

o

what I don't understand is why would you choose to add sites that you would let track you, and most of them listed add 10 sites in addition. What's the point of it?
I have a friend who also has Vista, and is having the same problem with IE9 shutting down. I could be reading a news column and off it goes.
I've had this Vista for only 5 years, and the first one it wasn't in use. I wish I could afford another up to date one, but it's not possible for 2 people on a pension and social security. We're trying to find an inexpensive replacement for the old XP desktop. I'm going to be very afraid to even boot that one after 8 April, even with all the security programs I have installed, Avast, Malwarebytes. I'm willing to try another browser, just haven't made a choice yet. Thanks for your input.

o

Data collecting is money-making. Tracking cookies are one way. If you don't mind private and govn. collecting data on you, then disregard.

I do mind so I set my brower to erase cookies upon exit (tho what good this does I'm not sure). I have a large hosts file that hopefully sends many cookies back to the originator. I run Malwarebits and Adwcleaner regularly. And I disable Javascript. Some sites require it. Again I'm not sure if that helps. Also use ccleaner.

What else can we do to our computers to limit intrusive practices? TIA

o

I also mind. I have Malwarebytes, Have run AdwCleaner but didn't know about the cookies to be deleted. Will look for that, thanks.

o

Here is the headline on the Dudge Report -- "Microsoft to stop invading customers’ privacy." If you think you are not being spied upon or tracked, guess again.

o

Did you read the article or only the headline? If you weren't suspected of stealing code from MS, what they did wouldn't apply to you or anyone else. Oh, and it was legal too.

Don't flatter yourself. Data is collected all over the internet and all over the real world to understand and analyze human activity, not because anyone cares specifically about you.

Do you have a discount card at your grocery store? That's so that they know that people who buy Dentucreme also buy applesauce. Etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stolen IP

o

I get the impression Microsoft is trying to create it's own version of the Hosts file. Google Hosts file for loads of sites giving details.

For those with Windows 8 (and possibly 7) you will not be able to modify your Hosts file if you have Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials) activated. Discovered after some frustrating attempts.

o

Yes, I did read the article. I'm well aware of data mining and who it pertains to. Obviously not just me.
After your last post, I hope you leave me out of your thoughts. Pick a happier problem to help out on. :)

o

There's "Disconnect".

Youtube

Main site(disconnect.me)

Firefox extension

Is it useful? I don't know, I just heard about it while listening to Security Now (ep#386) and thought I'd check it out.

"Ghostery" is similar. I used to use it until I got tired of having to disable it on too many pages. I never have to disable Disconnect.

o

I haven't checked out Opera. But I have checked Chrome, Safari and Firefox, my processor is not a late enough version, so I don't think I can use them. Looks like the only solution is to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. May have the same problem with an upgrade.
I'm really disappointed. My hubby bought me this laptop for my birthday. I've grown so used to it, am able to keep it in my kitchen to read the news and emails. Thanks so much chuggerguy, for giving me your ideas and adding links. So kind of you. :)

o

chuggerguy, I love ghostery mainly because it blocks google cookies. I have had it a long time and I don't have to click anything anymore. I don't know when you had it last but but they do keep updating it. Also there are boxes that you need to check in the preferences that helps.

o

"Did you read the article or only the headline? If you weren't suspected of stealing code from MS, what they did wouldn't apply to you or anyone else. Oh, and it was legal too. "
I suggest sticking to the question rather than picking on the posters. Of course I read the entire article. But why would I assume that Microsoft doesn't read emails that I might have sent? If you assume otherwise --- .

o

Yeah EmmaR, I loved it too. I'm sure I just overreacted, and I don't even remember specifically where I had to disable it. Possibly on sites with embedded Google maps(or videos)? Maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

Carolsis, I don't know what's going on with you computer that's causing problems. Others here would be more qualified to help you with that. Perhaps it has just accumulated too much "crap", things running that don't really need to be running, or possibly even malware. I have an underpowered Acer "Netbook" in my bedroom by my bed that runs Firefox(and plays video) just fine, and an ancient Compaq that does too, so I don't think your processor is the problem. I'm not a tech though, just a misuser.

o

For those with Windows 8 (and possibly 7) you will not be able to modify your Hosts file if you have Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials) activated. Discovered after some frustrating attempts.

fwiw;
I've added LAN friendly names for my router and other local toys to 'hosts' . Simply need to save the file changes to desktop & then copy and paste it into its etc. folder.

o

Mikie, thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea what you're talking about. I have tracking protection disabled. My Avast gives me an orange block in page corner to tell me how many trackers it's blocking, so I would hope that is enough. I just didn't understand why it's called tracking protection if you enable sites to track you and they are all listed as including 10 others. Call my dumb however you want, I just don't understand. fruitjarfld, I thought I made an appropriate suggestion to snideley, but thanks. At this point, I think I'll give up on tracking protection. I'm still losing my internet connection, am unable to use the other browsers due to my Intel chip's age, so am off to investigate other ideas to work around that issue. Thanks so much for all the time and effort you have all spent on my behalf, and I can't see the point anyway! So nice of all of you to try to help me. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here