Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Call From "Microsoft"

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:45

Understand I'm working long distance with my mom whose computer literacy is rather limited. She got a call from someone claiming to represent Microsoft. Fortunately she had the good sense to recognize a scam and asked the guy if she could have a phone number to call him at. He gave her an eleven digit phone number. ;-)

What's interesting is that she was having problems with her computer immediately before the phone call. Could it just be a coincidence or is something more sinister afoot.

She had a virus a while back that I cleaned up. If I recall correctly, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials as part of the process.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Call From "Microsoft"

I had one of those calls, it was fun for me. Told him I didn't have a computer, how could it be sending out virus's. He insisted somebody in the house was using a computer that was sending out virus's. I said maybe it was my refrigerator, maybe it has a computer in it. It cost so much it should have one. on and on.... he finally understood what I was saying and laughed and went away.

o

"What's interesting is that she was having problems with her computer immediately before the phone call. Could it just be a coincidence or is something more sinister afoot. "

Your mother probably has problems with her computer all the time. Timing is coincidental, I think.

o

I've gotten similar calls. Both times it was a voice with a very heavy Indian accent and with boiler room sounds in the background. He said that he was calling from Microsoft's Security Department. I said both times that they were wasting their time trying to scam me and they hung up. It's obviously an internet call, but they use a falsified caller ID (the number was non-existent when I tried to call back).

I don't think you need to worry about anything sinister going on.

Many phone numbers, when calling internationally, have 11 digits. US numbers have 11,

o

I tell them that their call is kind of weird as I dont have any Microsoft products in the house..all are Apple computers, which throws them for a loop..doesnt know what to say then..although the whole thing is a lie, dont have any Apple products

o

I also received one of those calls some time back. I kept telling him that I knew it was a scam and the funny part was, he chuckled and admitted that it was a scam.

o

Mikie....I love the way you handled that phone call.....I use to say "Listen we have a dinner party going here please give me your phone number and I will call you back"...now all I do is hang up the phone....I don't even bother to talk to them or my other option is I don't answer the phone after I check the i.d.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here