SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littledog_gw

Local phone company/ISP nightmare

littledog
16 years ago

Quick background:

I live in a rural area serviced by a small, local phone company. (less than 3,000 customers gerrymandered out over two counties and parts of six or seven towns)

Because they were the only game in this town (literally), I had my dial up access with them for three long years. While the Tech Support guys at the ISP were always very nice, I had problems with the service at least every other week. As for the regular phone service, we are talking bad bordering on legendary; disruptions with the telephone service at least once a month, often several times a month, sometimes every day for several days in row. At one point, the phone mysteriously went dead every single Friday at 5:00 for 5 weeks. As the office is closed from Friday at 5:00 until monday at 9:00, all I could do was drive seven miles to a pay phone and leave a message. When they "finally" figured out the problem, they claimed someone in the office was accidently flipping a switch before they went home. No, I am not kidding. I guess my phone servce is on the same circut as the coffee machine in the breakroom. Lukewarm apologies, but no reimbursment for the lost time. I'm stuck with them and a land line telephone. Because of the terrain, we are not candidates for wireless. From talking to the neighbors, even satellite service is unreliable here, (They gave up and go back to dialup) so we are a captive audience. Okay, sorry about the rant, I just wanted to give you some background.

Two years ago, they buried a DSL cable right out in front of my home, but didn't bother connecting it for over a year. Frankly, at this point, I am beyond reluctant to give them MORE money a month for their lousy service. Instead, as soon as another ISP opened shop with a local line for dial up access in my area, I switched my ISP.

Concerning the new ISP; I was told that if I could call and get "fax" noises without having to dial the area code, then it was a local number for me.

I tried it, it worked, and all has been sweentess and light with the new ISP until this afternoon, when I was unable to log on. My computer repeatedly flashed a message that the line was busy - which was highly suspect as the line has NEVER been busy; really, they have great service. So, I called the dial up number with a regular telephone and got a recording that the line was no longer in service. I didn't believe that either, and called tech support at the ISP.

Tech support checked and said the line was still good, that I needed to call my local phone company and find out what was going on because it seemed that my access was being blocked. On a hunch, I logged on using the number with 1 plus area code (long distance) and the call went through. As everyone knows, if you have to use 1 and the area code to connect, that it is a long distance call.

So, a number that has been local for over a year is suddenly not? FWIW, I don't have long distance with the local company, and my long distance calling the rest of the planet is working fine, we checked. (God bless Qwest, the only bright spot of my telecommunications day)

I won't be able to talk to the Green Acres Telephone Compnay until tomorrow, but until then, does anyone have any guesses as to what could be going on other than speculating that they have a new coffee maker at the office? :^(

Comments (11)