Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mozilla Thunderbird

Posted by kathsgrdn (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 20:13

Wondering if someone could help explain what has happened to my Thunderbird account. When I tried to open my e-mail page a couple weeks ago a prompt came up for me to open a new account. I've had an account for years with them so where did mine go and why won't it come up?

If I put the information they want in and open a new account will it take me back to all my saved messages from my old account or are they gone forever?

And a dumb question...I can't find my incoming and outgoing server info, where exactly do I find it? I've found it before but for some reason I can't now. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mozilla Thunderbird

Hi kathsgrdn,

Those settings should be as listed below. That's for the out going server. The incoming should also be in the area too.

To access Thunderbird's list of SMTP server, go to Tools > Account Settings, and select Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the left pane of the Account Settings dialog.

Joe

o

Thanks Joe.

o
RE: Mozilla Thunderbird --

Well, there is nothing listed there.

o

are you running AVG as your antivirus by any chance?

o

No, Ravencajun. I just don't understand what happened or where to look for the servers. It comes up and for some reason it still has a list of my contacts but that's it.

o

If you go to tools > account settings and no accounts are listed I would just start a new account. Just go to tools > account settings and click on account options and add a new account. Put in your name and email address and Thunderbird will find the servers. I get 4 email accounts in Thunderbird and all I had to do to set any of them up was to enter my name and email address.

o

It's asking for a host name and will not let me not put it in.

o

Have you tried restarting the computer? If not do so. It's beginning to sound like a corrupted profile in thunderbird.

Joe

o

Many times since I first noticed the problem.

o

Since Thunderbird is an e-mail portal and not a provider who is your e-mail through? Hotmail? Yahoo? An ISP?

Did you by chance recently upgrade TB?

DA

o

Damccoy, my e-mail is through AT&T. I upgraded either Thunderbird or Firefox recently, can't remember which, though. I think it was Firefox because I was having trouble pulling up the internet using it and someone said maybe I needed to upgrade it.

o

It seems that the mail you had in Thunderbird is gone so at this point I would open your address book in Thunderbird and use the tools > option choice to export your address book. I would then use the Revo Uninstaller (free if you don't have it) at it's highest setting and unintall Thunderbird then download the newest version and install it and set up your account again. You could then import your address book from the file you saved. If you go to att.net and check your mail there you may find that much of it is still there. It depends on your settings in Thunderbird.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here