Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to identify a scammer..

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 18:52

Isn't there a way to look at an email to see where it can from?
I have a truck/horse trailer listed on Craigslist. I have gotten three scams- wanting to send a check/use paypal, etc....but of course want to know where they are...
These all show up with the senders email address 'joesmith123@gmail.com', or 'tedkennedy0989@gmail.com'. Isn't there a way to see where these came from?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to identify a scammer..

It shouldnt matter, they have to come pick it up...if the money doesnt come thru paypal or the check dont clear, the trailer doesnt leave

o

If Outlook then try right click on the header and click 'Message options' and you see the source in the tiny window on the bottom of the pop up.

Windows Live right click on header and click 'View message source'

Yahoo, right click the header then click 'View full header'

If Outlook Express right click on the header and click Message source then there is one more click in the next window but I cannot remember what it says.

Remember, if they are good scammers they'll be spoofing the email address and you will not really know.

o

Craigslist is full of scammers and spammers. Don't waste you time worrying about where a particular email came from. Anyone serious about buying a trailer will want to see it.

Accept only CASH.

o

Yes, you are probably correct- too bad there are such sleazy people around!

o

seller beware for sure... I have had some stuff on Craigslist and had people say they were interested and when I set atime to come and pick it up or see it they would reply that they had an accident.... but they are making a ton of money online use this program or what ever ... just boils my eggs.

So ya... heads up

o

Some email programs let you see the full address header... then its a matter of learning how to read the origin ip.

Then you can get the location, or general location.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

o

O stated "Remember, if they are good scammers they'll be spoofing the email address and you will not really know."

That's 200% correct whether it is e-mail or telephone calls. With spoofing unless you have the sophisticated tools required available to you and the know how to use them trying to track spoofed calls/messages will end up being very disappointing. It's not as easy as television programs present it to be.

Absolutely never respond.

DA

o

look through the headers for .edu or .gov. someone in the organization may be *very much* abusing their account or lab PC. it takes some time to find admin email address, but you could send email with full headers pasted, to an administrator email.
if you're using web-based mail (you should for craigslist), then just click the "this is spam" button...

o

I find it interesting that this thread returned to the main page with the last post over a year ago. It wasn't long ago that we had something like this happening to various threads.

My only thought is possibly someone spammed the thread, and GW removed the spam and left the thread.

DA

o

You are correct, DA. Spam was here this morning, and removed after it was reported. The thread gets bumped, but the new post that brought it to the front was deleted.

o

I thought it was weird...
I had the trailer for sale a year ago..I was a bit worried cuz it was 2000 miles away from where I am. A friend collected the money for me. Too many weird people on PCM!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here