SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gadgets_gw

I need advice on computer protection

gadgets
12 years ago

I have a Dell desktop computer, using Windows XP. I've used the free protection 'suite' provided by my cable company all these years.... CA Internet Suite. Antivirus, malware, firewall, etc. There are times it about drove me bonkers until I learned how to set it up to suit MY needs, but I've never had an viruses.

So now I get an email from the cable company telling me I have 5 days to go to their website and download McAfee as it's taking the place of CA. I don't think I want McAfee. What would you advise I do instead so that I'd have both anti virus and firewall protection? I don't want to be without all that I need. Or should I take the 'easy' way out, and download McAfee?

Thanks in advance.

Shirley

Comments (35)

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

Provided you have requirements of at least xp sp3

Microsoft Security Essentials (free)
    simple.. install it, and then forget about it.

But first you want to go to www.appremover.com for a program that will completely remove your CA program. So that the leftovers from it wont conflict with a new replacement install of a competing product.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.microsoft.com/security

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

agree you do not want McAfee been there done that and paid the price for it so definitely avoid that. Appremover will do a good job of clearing out all of the CA for you

if you do not have xp sp3 by some chance then you can go with AVAST free which is what I have on a couple of mine.
    Using AppRemover

Avast Free Antivirus

• Related Discussions

Need Advice for Dodge Computer-Module Repair

Q

Comments (5)
    As John_G says, it takes the factory scan tool to sort out problems at these low levels in the code. However, at this point, I would not rule out a loose connection behind the dash, say a ground connection. If the engine has been running ok and the transmission shifting properly, the problem may lie in the connections between the engine controller and the dash. If everything is ok from cold start, and then fails after the temperature under the hood rises, suspect a temperature sensitive item under the hood, or near the hot air ducts. You could exercise the connector to the engine controller. Disconnect the battery ground cable, and then disconnect the large, multi-pin connector to the controller. Look carefully at the condition of the pins. Plug the conector back in and wiggle it in and out a few times before pushing it home. Likely, it was held in with a screw. Re-attach the screw and drive home. Be careful of the amount of tightening torque. Consult the repair manual. This screw needs only to be tight enough to draw the connector together and enough tightening torque to keep it from coming loose. Re-attach the battery cable and try it out.
    ...See More

Computer Protection; The Age Old Question

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I read up......and tried a few things. I just clicked on "UPDATE".....and it went ahead and completed the update. I am not sure what I did....that did the trick. I thank you both for the suggestions and links. For some reason, I never think to Google a computer problem. I Google everything else, but I always forget to use it.....when researching a problem. Larry
    ...See More

UPS computer protection

Q

Comments (10)
    UPS's constantly monitor the battery and have a small charger built into them to keep the battery juiced perfect. They charge up their batteries after they run down, unless of course the battery has reached its end of life cycle. Some battery types are good for two years, some for longer. Its not a real fast charger, just a little trickle job. The UPS offers surge protection even with a near dead battery. Mine beep like the dickens when their batteries get about 5 years old and one cell dies, as a reminder to go buy some new ones. At power failure every few seconds they beep here - I have several.. its funny - a beep from here where my laptop ac adapter is,, a beep over there on a desktop server, others from behind a door, still another from the router area. Almost like synchronized music that drives me nutty Power failure in the dark of nite - there's so many flashing lights you dont need to worry about bumping into walls.
    ...See More

What computer protection is needed?

Q

Comments (6)
    Computer safety becomes a very personal thing. There are those who run about almost naked while others are so paranoid they get little enjoyment from their machines. I run Avast A/V, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and Zonealarm on one computer. The same on another except I replace Malwarebytes with Spybot Search & Destroy and the MS firewall (which will soon be replaced by PC Tools firewall. On a third computer I loaded Threatfire but cannot comment as the whole computer is giving me a big headache - perhaps that is how I got the P4 for free in the first place, haha.
    ...See More
  • kudzu9
    12 years ago

I've used the free Avast for over a year and it's at least as reliable as Norton or McAfee. It's also very easy to configure.

• bob414
    12 years ago

With XP you will also need a firewall. Maybe Zone Alarm Free.

• zep516
    12 years ago

Another Firewall recommendation

Here is a link that might be useful: personal_firewall

• Pooh Bear
    12 years ago

So now I get an email from the cable company telling me I have 5 days to go to their website and download McAfee.....

First thing I would be doing is questioning the email.
    Is it really from your ISP? Did you confirm this with your ISP?
    I am very suspicious of emails saying I HAVE to use something.

Avast is great. I recommend it. Set it to silent/gaming mode.

Pooh Bear

• azinoh
    12 years ago

I wouldn't want McAfee either, and MSE has been working well for me so far. However, if your ISP is somehow going to restrict your access to service & support if you choose not to use McAfee, then possibly that is a problem. Only you can decide if you're okay with that.

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The email IS from my isp. I went to their website to make sure. They're not saying I -have- to use McAfee, just that if I want them to supply free firewall, anti-virus, email protection, etc, then I have to download McAfee by Mar 28 as my current CA from them will no longer work. There are no restrictions if I don't use theirs, just that I can't call them if I have a problem with whatever I go with.

I forgot to say that I am using sp3 WinXP. So, ravencajun, does that mean I can't use Avast if that's what I'd choose.

Do all of the programs suggested above, does that give me email protection also. I still use Outlook Express.

I've always used a 'suite' for protection....first Norton's, my own. Then CA provided by cable co. So I'm lost when it comes to having several other separate programs.

Thanks for all your help. Believe me, I don't mind asking what may sound like stupid questions, and even re-asking if I'm not sure. I just want my computer protected.

Shirley

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

I think this is getting way too complicated.

My thought is to remove unwanted AV and any other unwanted detection applications. Then,

As Mikie reported, Install MSE.
    As Bob reported, install ZA.
    Finally, install Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware configured for on-demand as a second tier detection/protection with regular .dat file updates.

DA

• zep516
    12 years ago

Hi gadgets,

If you like we can get this all set up today for you. I have provided a step by step guide for you to follow if you would like to proceed.

Avast should provide E-Mail protection in it's ability to scan E-Mail attachments. I will also recommend a Firewall below. Avast will work fine with XP.

Avast free

Download Avast from the web site above. Do not install it yet.

**On that Web page over to the right on top click Download latest Version

NEXT
    Download Application Remover from site listed below. This tool will remove CA Security for you.

Application Remover

Next
    Once Application remover has completed removing CA Security

Go back and double click the Avast set-up file you downloaded before. This will install Avast Anti Virus for you.

Next
    I will recommend a Firewall to use below, download it and install it.

FREE FIREWALL

Let us know how you come along with the steps above. Any issues we can help you along.

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am a firm believer in not making final decisions on things of this importance in a hurry. So I've decided to wait until Tuesday to do whatever I decide is best for me. I'm leaning towards either MSE with the two backup programs OR the programs suggested by Zep and others.

I want to thank those of you who suggested using appremover as I don't think I ever fully got rid of Norton years ago, until I bought a new computer. It would occasionally rear its ugly head on the old one. So I already know I'll be using that program. Do I use it before I download new ones OR download but wait till I get rid of CA to install?

I always get a little nervous/anxious when I have to do something like this. I am truly thankful that I know I can come to you, even over and over, to get problems resolved.

Shirley

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Zep has given you the proper steps to take and in which order to do it.

Yes you can use AVAST or MSE either one since you have sp3 xp.

Don't get nervous about it this is really fairly simple now with these tools available. The appremover makes it so much easier than it once was.

I use and have used AVAST for years, I have put MSE on my sisters pc and my brother in laws, so either one is a good choice.

Once you have your Antivirus situation take care of then it would be a very good idea to consider adding Malwarebytes for an added layer of protection you would have to update it and run the scan ever couple of weeks, it will catch the types of infections that the Antivirus may miss. I will link to those directions here so it is all in one place for you when you decide to do that.
    Just take it one step at a time and we are here to help.
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware
    it is also free, there is a pay version but you can just choose the free.

• grandms
    12 years ago

Download the new programs you are going to use but do not install until after using Appremover. Then, install the new protection.

Not sure what you mean by MSE and "the two backup programs". Which two backups are you referring to? You still need a firewall, so be sure you install one as well as MSE.

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, grandms, I guess I was a little vague on using the terms backup programs. I was referring to this that damccoy wrote:

"As Mikie reported, Install MSE.
    As Bob reported, install ZA.
    Finally, install Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware configured for on-demand as a second tier detection/protection with regular .dat file updates."

I used to have and use both MB and SAS but all of a sudden the CA suite I had installed wouldn't work till I got rid of them.

Shirley

• grandms
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree with DA. These should work fine for you.

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

Download your MSE or whatever first before you uninstall, so you can add back protection before you might bake brownies or something and forget .. I'm a MSE lover, I love brownies too :)

Maybe the AppRemover might find some old norton items also . When you use AppRemover, its important to restart the computer when it tells you to ... without closing the AppRemover program. Otherwise it seems to forget to remove the folders & their contents.

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

Just my minds 2 cents..
    When I install MSE on xp, I install the beta 4 version, it offers some extra protections, so there isnt much to worry about adding any extra 3rd party firewalls just for an outgoing firewall. The xp microsoft firewall is fine ... Whats there is good enough combined with MSEb4.

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

experiences past several months ...

I must be on computers remotely at least once a day fixing something or installing/upgrading REMOVING tons of FREE TOOLBARS!!!!!!!! .. maybe 2 or 3x weekly do virus removals on those computers. Few hundred people rely on me for this.

I often see the Avast & Avira and some of the other major populars disabled by a virus... sitting there looking good, look to be working, yet they are not working at all.

Many have been bypassed in the registry for warning or updates. Some of the registry is so mixed up for the installed Av.. its hard to say what they do ...
    Try to start & scan.. they may or may not start up.. they may scan full in just minutes if they do start .. which is impossible to do.

For what ever reasons? I dont know why, I dont see this happen with MSE.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

I still see this way over done. Maybe there is too many well-intended cooks in this soup.

A member of limited experience, I apologize if I am wrong, was nervous before this thread. I imagine there is no since of relief for her yet.

Shirley,

I suggest this, please read this thread as it stands now and review the hyperlinks provided. Then make your own decision as to what you want to do. Share this information with us on THIS thread and it can be reviewed. No one here will let you unknowingly step in a puddle without first telling you it is raining.

Mikie,

I always supported the XP firewall until several years ago as bots and such became more prevalent. Now?? I can't do it in good faith. Just me.

DA

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

.. almost always I see in Xp with virus.... Usually more than not, all three items are checked to diaable notifications .. Firewall/AV/WinUpdates. And the firewalls have been turned Off.

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is my plan of action for Tuesday afternoon:

1. Download MSE but do NOT install yet (Mikie I'm unclear about downloading beta4 version. Does that mean I can't use MB and SAS?)
    2. Download application remover. Run it to uninstall CA program. (Since I will have to actually run it, I won't know till then what all it asks for, etc.) Restart the computer when it tells me to ... without closing the AppRemover program.
    3. Install MSE
    4. Download and install free firewall (don't know which one yet)
    5. Download and install Malwarebytes
    6. Download and install Super AntiSpyware

Do I have the right order for doing everything? When I install MSE, will I have to configure settings? If there's anything in the above that's not right, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Shirley

• owbist
    12 years ago

Yes you seem to have it sorted out nicely. Go for it.

No, there is no need to change any setting on Microsoft Security Essentials. It will up date when ever updates become available automatically. By default it will scan your computer at 2 a.m. on Sundays or the next time the computer starts unless you change that option.

The only thing I like to do with MSE is make sure the small 'bungalow' icon stays green. If it goes orange take a look, it likely missed and update or failed to scan. This occurs rarely but for safety sake take a look now and then to be sure.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

Good for you Shirley. I like your thinking.

DA

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

(Mikie I'm unclear about downloading beta4 version. Does that mean I can't use MB and SAS?)

it works with them just fine.

Those are not full time running or actively checking each file as its touched, like a MSE would.. SAS & MBAm only run on demand.

here's link to microsoft public beta 4, Security Essentials . Some of the popular download sites will have it too. If you want to use it...

Here is a link that might be useful: https://connect.microsoft.com/site981/program7299

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have done all that I listed above. I checked in add/remove after I'd run the appremover. It showed CA antivirus being gone but yet CA firewall remains. As I didn't have protection, I didn't want to come back on here until I'd installed MSE. What do I now do about that?

I've downloaded but not installed Zone Alarm, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware.

Next step please. I don't want to install these other programs until I get help with the CA firewall that still shows up.

Help again, please.

Shirley

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

Sounds like the fireall was a second install... just click from Add/Remove the firewall uninstall. see if that takes it away.

Might look at CA uninstaller below.. I'd run that anyways, just a 2nd shot at removing any missed left overs.

Reboot... install your zone alarms... it probably will want a restart.. then install the scanners MBAM & SAS.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cainternetsecurity.net/KB/KD.aspx?KDId=1056

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mikie:

I did the add/remove for the CA Firewall, and it came up with a message saying I had to have the disk to do it. I have never had a disk as I always downloaded through my cable company.

I went to the website you have listed but found on there where it said to go to another site if you were having the problem that the antivirus uninstalled but not the firewall, and when it can't be removed through add/remove.

When you go to that site, it gives you 8 steps. I did down through number 4, but don't see any Kmx drivers.

I have downloaded the program from CA that you suggested. But haven't run it yet. Do you still want me to do that?

Right now, I'd like to have someone standing right beside me telling me 'do this, now do that'. ;*)

Have to run in town for my evening meal now. I'm dealing with big water problems right now too, so will get takeout.

Shirley

Here is a link that might be useful: Cannot uninstall firewall

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

I have downloaded the program from CA that you suggested. But haven't run it yet. Do you still want me to do that?

Run that ... make sure to look at any instructions.
    Sometimes they require you to run them from safe mode, but it will tell you boldly if thats required.

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ran the program and it didn't take care of the problem. It still shows in add/remove. If I click remove, even if it gives me the message about the disk, when I come back to add/remove page, the item is gone. But if I close it and come back, it's there again. BTW, it doesn't show ANY MB size at all now though.

So, here sits the student saying "What now, Teacher?"

Shirley

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just wanted to come on here and thank each of you again for your help. I finally decided to not worry about the CA showing in add/remove. And went on this morning to finish up my list.

I've installed Zone Alarm. Also installed Malwarebytes and Super Spyware, and ran scans with both. SS found 2 tracking cookies, but other than that, all was well.

Sometimes it seems as if my computer is a little slower, but that might be my imagination.

So, again, thanks for all your help.

Shirley

• zep516
    12 years ago

If the firewall is still running the computer will probably run slower. It's possible you now have 2 firewalls running. Not a good idea! Lets check and see.

Do you have time to follow the instructions below:

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
    It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

Then do this,
    Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to Open the Misc Tools section" Click it at the bottom under System tools click "Open Uninstall Manager" over to the right click "Save List" Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cafwc] C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\cafw.exe -cl

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [capfasem] C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\capfasem.exe

O23 - Service: HIPS Configuration Interpreter (UmxCfg) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxCfg.exe

O23 - Service: HIPS Firewall Helper (UmxFwHlp) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxFwHlp.exe

O23 - Service: HIPS Policy Manager (UmxPol) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxPol.exe

The items above are what we will look for in your log

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After my last post, I did a total shutdown on my computer, not just a restart. When it came back on, the speed of everything was back to normal.

Thanks,

Shirley

• zep516
    12 years ago

Sounds good ! Rebooting can work wonders.

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

Shirley,

Malwarebytes and SAS come out with new definition updates daily. Multiple times a day is not unusual. So be sure to keep them updated even if you ae not planning to use them. You just never know when thwy will be needed.

DA

• gadgets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again. I know about the updates and am developing a plan to do updates/scans by them both on a regular basis. If I don't 'schedule' things, they don't get done.

Shirley