Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Updates For Old Unsupported OS

Posted by poohbear2767 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 17:52

How do you get all the available updates after support has ended?
I have an old laptop made for Windows 98 or 2k.
I installed Windows 2k on it and then tried to go to Windows Update.
I thought I would get the updates up to the point where they stopped supporting 2k.
What I got was a message saying Windows 2k is no longer supported.
So I couldn't update it to where they discontinued new updates.
I ended up installing XP on it and it runs it, but slowly.

I have quite a few old computers I maintain for various reasons.
The newer operating systems will not run on them.
They just don't have the oomph to do it.

How do you get the old updates if you need to reinstall the OS
after they stop supporting it?

Pooh Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Updates For Old Unsupported OS

You might be able to find what you want from a third party, but my understanding is that MICROSOFT WILL NOT HELP YOU. That is the very definition of an OLD UNSUPPORTED OS. What you are asking is like trying to get Ford Motor Company to sell you a new engine for a 72 Pinto...THEY WON'T DO IT. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but it is what it is.

Not knowing why you choose to maintain old computers with an old OS, I can only say this: if you intend to use them for anything other than pure recreation, you are making a mistake. They cannot be made secure and you are exposing yourself to significant risk if you use them for things like online banking or shopping.

o

Oh, no, I don't use them for anything other than old games and such.
My old laptop is only used if I need to show someone something
where a computer is not handy. Usually, a document
of some sort, or blueprints and drawings and such. I would put
some version of linux on it but there is not a video driver available for it.

I only use my main computer (fully updated XP) for banking and online shopping.

I know MS made CDs available for a while that had all the updates on them for XP. I was hoping maybe MS still made updates available for other older OSs on CD.

It was worth a try.

Thanks ~Pooh Bear

o

• Posted by exgm -5 ON (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 22:26

Last time I ran into this scenario (quite some time ago) I found that installing the most current version of IE for the o/s allowed me to retrieve the updates.

As azinoh pointed out, security is compromised even if this is successful, due to the fact your o/s is no longer supported.

I have no idea if this method still works, but the time involved trying it is minimal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Version of Internet Explorer for Windows 2000

This post was edited by exgm on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 22:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here