Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone Alarm is Blocking Spywareblaster

Posted by juneroses (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 17:35

Background: Win XP with SP3; Avast, MAM, SAS, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D, Zone Alarm; Cisco router

I'll apologize first. If I'd known I would have problems and need your help, I would have kept precise records.

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and decided to accept the Mozilla update. I think Spywareblaster may have also had an update. Anyway, I did the updates and all seemed well. Methodically did the updates for the other security programs I had (listed above). All programs updated and are working except for Spywareblaster; Zone Alarm is blocking it from connecting to the internet (port 12080). I found this via the ZA log. What I can't find (or don't recognize if I have come upon it) is how to change this so ZA does allow Spywareblaster.

I attempted to solve the problem by removing Spywareblaster with Revo Uninstaller. I then downloaded and did a new install of Spywareblaster. This maneuver didn't fool Zone Alarm, however - it still refuses to let Spywareblaster connect to the internet.

Any suggestions? Or, maybe, I have enough security without Spywareblaster and should just delete it and save myself further grief?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone Alarm is Blocking Spywareblaster

I use Firefox 11.0 and Zonealarm (free). I downloaded and installed Spywareblaster to see if my setup would block it. After installation, I ran Spyblaster to get updates. ZA asked if ok or deny -- I said ok, and got the updates. Is that different than your experience?

o

It's been a thousand years since I used ZA.

Have you tried right-clicking on the icon in your System Tray to access the available tabs and options. Back in the deep recesses of my memory I seem to recall access to a roster of installed applications, and the ability to change allow and deny; green check marks and red Xs.

DA

o

Sounds like spywareblaster was blocked once.. thats right, they had allow / deny settings for every program in a quasi complicated dangerious misleading wording.

If you have vista or win7 .. or win8
you dont need Zonealarms

o

No idea how to fix your problem but you have WAY too many security programs.

o

As long as Avast and ZA are the only two applications in real-time I see no problem with what you have. As always, a tiered approach to protection and detection is the proper action.

ZA

o

Ta-da!!! I fixed it.

For the 31st time (!) I opened ZA and looked through the various screens. I found "Appplication Control" and for Spywareblaster there were red "X's" under "inbound" and "outbound". In this same table SAS (which is updating) had green checks.

There was no indication that I could/should click on the "X's" but I thought to do so; a menu appeared which allowed me to change the red "X's" to green checks.

After this, when I tried to update Spywareblaster, it worked.

Thank you all for considering my problem.

Mike_kaiser, you're probably correct, and I'm heavy on the security programs. This computer is about 7 years old and over the years, I've slowly added these programs (and very recently, the router) as they've been recommended here. When one has been recommended I don't recall a corresponding recommendation to get rid of "x". So the list has grown.

My computer seems to be running fine and isn't particularly slow so I haven't inquired about what I could remove.

o

Personally, I think you are fine with your security programs. It's not as if you have a bunch all "running" at the same time. Glad you found the answer to your problem. Good work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here