Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost my D drive.

Posted by kessy56 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 17:15

Okay, I'm not very savvy with computers so I'll explain the best I can. Previously, if I had a folder of photos saved on my desktop, I could right click on the folder, go to 'send to', and then click on D and my photos would transfer to a cd. For some reason, when I click on 'send to', the D isn't there anymore! When I click on My Computer, it isn't there either! How can I get it back? Thanks for any help! (and please remember, I need simple explanations, lol). By the way, I admire all you who talk 'big language' in computers. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost my D drive.

Hi kessy56,

Your DVD RW Drive is not showing in my computer?

What is the operating system installed?

o

When you right-click on Start / Explore All Users, which drives letters are showing?

o

What happens when you insert a music CD or video DVD in the drawer and close it? Do the LED lights flash on the CD drive?

o

First of all, I have XP. When I go to My Computer, the D drive is there. (I swear it wasn't there yesterday, but I know that sounds unbelievable). When I put a music cd in a few minutes ago, it played. When I right click on start and go to Explore All Users, it doesn't show any drive.
I'll explain a little more about what I have done in the past and what's happening now: I take tons of photos and download them onto my computer. I make folders on my desktop & label them by the month. Then I take the photos out of my easyshare, label them as to the subject and put them into the monthly folder on my desktop. In other words, I may have a folder labeled March 2012 and in it may be a photo labeled "Allison with her cake". Anyway, then I would right click on the folder, click on send to, and then click on D drive and it would copy the photos in that folder to my cd. Well now, when I click on send to, there isn't a D drive in the drop down box.
I opened the folder (remember, I'm running XP) and over on the left there is a place labeled "Picture Tasks". It only says view as a slide show, order prints online, or print pictures. It use to have copy to cd there, but that's gone.
When I had the folder opened, I went up to "Edit" and the word "copy" is grayed out so I can't click on it.
Thanks for your questions in regards to helping me figure this out!

o

I typed Drive D dissappeard into google got lotta hits. Here is one. Didn't follow it thru tho.

This used to happen to me with W/98 or maybe W/95 a lot. Can't recall exactly what I did each time but must have reinstalled it somehow. It got to be a routine PITA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Disapeerd

o

1. Open My Computer - click Tools - Folder Options
2. Check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files"
3. Open D Drive.
4. Check if there is an Autorun.inf exist.
5. Select the file and delete it.
6. Click Start - Run - type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
just copy and paste the the above in bold into the run box.
7 Restart your PC and check if the problem get solved.

Let us know.

o

"When I right click on start and go to Explore All Users, it doesn't show any drive." Did you look closely? If you look at all the listings from top-to-bottom you will find all the drives recognized by the system. That doesn't mean that you will only see the drives listed, and nothing else, because you are looking at a bunch of directories, too. However, if you look at all of these lines, you will see the drives, starting, probably, with "Local Drive (C:)" listed under "Computer," and any other drives in alphabetical order at various places below the listing for C:.

If you can't find a listing of your drives, then something is wrong with Windows Explorer. If you are not seeing your drives, what do you see?

o

Ok Zep, "Show hidden files and folders" was already checked and "Hide Protected Operating System Files" was already unchecked. Then when I clicked on the D Drive, I get a box that appears that tells me to insert a disk into the D Drive. Did you mean to go the the properties on the D Drive? If I do that, the box has General, AutoPlay, Hardware, and Sharing but I don't see anywhere that says Autorun.inf exist. Am I doing something wrong? I sure appreciate this!

o

Autorun.inf exist.

That's ok you don't see that.

Copy this--> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

click Start in the start menu look for Run
click it, what the run box opens. Paste the Bold command above into the run box, hit ok, reboot. Now tell us if you see the D in the right click context menu.

If not we should consider a System Restore.

Let us know.

o

I did what you told me to, zep. When I right click on start and go to Explore All Users, it doesnt show the D drive. Nothing has changed.

o

Umm, perhaps the D drive does not show when there is no CD in the drive?

Right click on Start
click Explore and you'll possibly see no D drive.
With Explore open now insert a data CD and watch the left column, it should show the D drive within a few seconds.

o

If that does not work try the system restore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here