Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVG address??

Posted by ruthann (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 16:44

Hi, Does anyone know the correct address for AVG? I've been to several of the sites that pop up and can't figure out which is the real one. I need it desperately. I downloaded Avast, and it wouldn't let me send email, so I had to uninstall it. Now I am getting pop-ups after pop-ups after pop-ups. I can't even read the news, it keeps interfering, the screen won't scroll. Holy Cow, it's a mess!!!
Thank you..........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVG address??

This is a trusty site for downloads:
http://download.cnet.com/windows/

o

Just watch the dialog boxes as they allow others to piggyback on their downloads. You can use this one as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVG

o

MWM is correct. CNET appears to be not as well respected as it use to be due to the aforementioned piggybacking. There have even been "claims" of hidden efforts.

DA

o

Can you give examples of the sort of piggybacking you're referring to?

I don't use cnet often and I don't remember having problems there. However, it comes time to update some of the software I use with Firefox, I do see sneaky attempts to install -- sorry: I don't remember the correct term -- default browser search thingies into Firefox.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 7:48

o

I for one recommend to avoid it whenever possible, and instead use majorgeeks.com or filehippo.com.

DA

o

I will add bleepingcomputer to DA's recommendations of filehippo and majorgeeks as perfectly safe sites from which to download programs.

Sure, there are others but so many agree to allow piggybacking these days it is hard to stay ahead.

I would suggest to everyone that they elect to use the custom install rather than express to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Closely scrutinise every window before clicking 'Next', adding or removing checks marks as needed.

o

Not an example of piggybacking but in my opinion, kinda tricky too.

That came from cnet but I'm sure it can be found many many other places.

A person looking to download the free version of AVG and having heard that it's called "AVG Free" might very well conclude that they had just found it. In reality the ad is for the trial version.

The download is free though. :)

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 9:24

o

Agreeing with some of the posts -- be careful downloading from cnet - you may get more than you need or bargained for.

o

With all downloads read and pay attention to add on's, take the check marks outs before you click NEXT. I always use CNET, have for yrs. and will continue.

o

A basic Google search using the keywords "cnet download malware" (sans quotes) may be informative.

Any user may of course do or not do whatever they wish.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Google

o

I too used to trust CNET. However, I got a piggyback app that took over my browser. I forget the name of it, but it was difficult to get rid of. I ended up buying Revo Uninstaller Pro. Even then, it was difficult. CNET - never again.

o

From the Malwarebytes forum -- "t's also important to note that sometimes CNET will bundle software that they are hosting with other content or encourage you to use their download tool."

o

ruthann-
The problems you are describing don't sound like they were caused by Avast. I suspect that you may have downloaded what you thought was Avast from a bogus web site which could have infected your computer (or that you had some infection previously). I suggest you download the free version of Malwarebytes and run a scan immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Malwarebytes

o

I dont have Avast on any computer here to check, but, I recently worked on one that did. If I remember correctly, it is set by default to scan both incoming and outgoing email. It is possible, that you only had to check the settings.

I used to recommend downloading from cnet all the time, now it is the place, I tell everyone to stay away from. What is good for a while, isnt always good later on. The download sites above, Majorgeeks etc are very good sites to download from right now and hopefully, they will stay that way.

o

I avoid download sites when I can easily go to the actual site of the software developer...

Here is a link that might be useful: AVG

o

I too prefer getting whatever it is straight from the developer.

Sadly though, try to grab the "free" version of AVG directly from AVG and you end up sitting on the cnet domain two clicks later.

Am I doing something wrong?

o

Chuggerguy...I often have that same problem. The home page of many downloads send me to FileHippo, Cnet, Geeks etc. Dunno why...

o

chuggerguy-
Good point on this one. But at least you know you're starting at the right place if the software developer points you to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here