Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malwarebytes freezes...

Posted by katlan (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 16:40

I had Stop Sign antivirus on my laptop. For 2 or 3 wks now it wouldn't finish running. Would get to about 70% and just hung up there. Finally found 2 trojan viruses and got rid of them.

After reading different posts here, I decided to try MSE. I uninstalled Stop Sign and downloaded and ran MSE. Came up clean.

Then I downloaded Malwarebytes. Ran it and it came up clean.

Today I clicked on malwarebytes to run it and it ran for about 12 minutes, scanned 51,709 objects and just stopped. At the very top of the box beside the name Malwarebytes Anti-Malware it says in parentheses (Not Responding). I finally canceled the scan, tried it again, same thing happened.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes, downloaded it again and ran a quick scan. It ran and said no infections found. Then I clicked on full scan......same thing! Not responding after about 12 minutes. On the Currently Scanning line it says this.......

C\Users\K\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\flaCOFF.tmp

I don't know what any of that means or what, if anything I should do about it.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. You might not want to chime in because I am practically computer illliterate as far as all things about programs, scans, viruses etc.

Thank you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malwarebytes freezes...

One thing I might do is cleanup my Temporary Internet Files. If you have CCleaner program, run that will do it.

That file it stopped on is in your browser Temporary Internet Files. I would want that off of my computer I think, for peace of mind. Possible exploit of some sort.

o

Stop Sign is a poorly regarded antivirus program, described by PC Mag as "dismal". It could be confused, or it could be the problem.

Try another one, maybe one of the free ones like AVG? See the other AV thread for a link in my posting to a recent article with current ratings based on lab tests.

o

I did remove Stop Sign and downloaded and ran MSE. I just downloaded and am running Ccleaner right now.

Thank you for your responses. I'll let you know the outcome.

o

o.k. The Ccleaner finally finished running. It took over 4 hours, is that a long time? Anyhow, it didn't find any malicious files. Yay! Then I ran malwarebytes again and it ran smoothly and completely and didn't find any problems either. Double yay!

Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 23:54

Welcome...
I might run CCleaner again .. it really should take just moments unless you have Tons & Tons of old outdated files. I don't think ive ever seen it run more than maybe 3 or 4 minutes. Mostly less than one minute.

That's a good program to run, for basic trash cleaning, about once per week.

This post was edited by mikie on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 23:56

o

Thanks for the suggestion Mikie. I just ran it again, it took 11.2 seconds! It removed 43.8 MB. Yesterday it removed 30,295.

o

Wow, 30 gb - might be a worlds record. :)
Hope all is good now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here