Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Java Threat

Posted by not2bright (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 15:40

For those still with Java on their systems (like me):

Here is a link that might be useful: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/03/cta-new-java-zero-days/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Java Threat

I saw a new java version was out earlier today.

o

Additional information at link provided

Here is a link that might be useful: out-of-band-critical-java

o

Like so many other users I found Java unnecessary for my doings. If you do not use it leave Java off. There's way too much happening with it. When a purveyor skips a whole version, and releases an upgrade a month early it is not too reassuring.

I personally have the current version downloaded and stored if a need surprisingly arises.

DA

o

I installed win8 Dec 14th. I have never installed java. Apparently I haven't missed it in almost 3 months.

o

I never had it on my new pc and a while back removed it from all of mine, and don't miss it. So much easier not to have to deal with it.

o

When I tried to run Secunia (linked by Raven in Ellie's post about having a second computer) it wouldn 't run without Java. Tried it a while ago, too, and couldn't but not sure why at that time.

How do I run Secunia without Java?

Almost forgot, XP SP3 FF.

This post was edited by breenthumb on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 18:10

o

You can't run the online version as far as I know without Java installed. Java Runtime is one of the requirements for Secunia on line scanner.

You can run the downloaded version, I just did and I don't have Java installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: secunia download

o

I need some advice. I uninstalled Java from my PC when the recent separate post came through about possible problems and thought I'd taken care of any potential trouble.

Today, I did a search on my pc for Java and came up with many java folders...also files showing "scripts" (I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about here < s > ).

I tried running the Secunia scan online and got a message that I may be having trouble loading the java aplet and also went to the java site and clicked to see if I have java installed and it said they were "unable to determine" if I did. So I'm guessing I must not have it installed. I downloaded Secunia and did a scan that showed everything updated but it did show a program called JavaRa even though I don't see that on my "uninstall or change a program" list. Do I need to be concerned about JavaRa? Could the above referenced folders be connected with it? Do I need to be concerned about that? I'm thanking you in advance.

o

JavaRa runs from the desktop. So you would not see it in the uninstall list. If you see it on the desktop you can right click it and choose delete. It might be in a folder on the desktop with a zipper on it...

o

Thank you, zep. All done.

o

I signed up for Adrive a few years ago to upload files while having computer issues. I have since brought them back to the computer. I tried to use it recently and it requires Java.

Guess I should not use it anymore?

Jane

o

Many, many users have continued to use Java in these past months without incident. If you have a particular use and a particular site that requires it, I'd use it and not give it another thought. If you want to be uber-careful, enable Java when you're on the site and then disable it when you're done.

I have a few things I do that require Java and I've continued to use it. I've experienced no problems.

For storage, you always have the alternative of buying your own external device. They're cheap and and easy to use.

o

breenthumb just to clarify javara is not part of java, it's a program that helps un install old java versions, you probably used it at some point to do that.

o

Thank you, Zep and Raven...I appreciate your help!

o

Hi everyone, just thought I would poke my head in here and low and behold saw this post and I got that virus. I hope I can get rid of it. I heard about java on the news and did not think it would affect me but it did. Hopefully my kaspersky got rid of it. I ran windows defender afterwards and it didn't find anything and will run the virus scan again tonight but this is the trojan I got.

HEUR:Exploit.Java.CVE-2012-1723.gen

o

Thanks, Raven. Just wish they didn't all sound so much alike, but now I know what Javara and Javascript are. Hope I can remember when I need to know. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here