Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on small red x

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 15:30

Computer is XP. On my email received information from a company showing their catalog with postage stamps/collections to buy. Everything is ok BUT, today went to the email, and instead of pages I get red x. I have two brousers I switch back and forth Mozella Firefox I have to use to get into a chat room from APS and then Internet Explorer. I also ran CCleaner yesterday. I think I am using IE now. What can I do to get rid of the red X.
Thanks
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on small red x

Are you saying you get a sort of square with a red x in it instead of the pages showing the stamps or whatever? The problem seems to be on the sending end, not on your machine.

o

Might try pushing the F5 key .. it refreshes/reloads most windows.

o

Look at the top of your screen above your email. It may say: Some pictures have been blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click here to download pictures.

o

I tried the F-5 key and got the information. Don't know what is wrong but I will be running both Spyware and malware to check things out.
Thanks again
Marie

o

Thought I had it fixed, but it did it again. Only on one posting and sometimes I see the pictures and sometimes I don't Started after I used CCleaner and I have tried everything people here suggested. may have to wait until another emai from that company comes in.
thanks again
maire

o

CCleaner is causing the problem with my colors of visited and unvisited threads. I ran it today and all the threads were blue.

One time my I had a problem with MS Security Essentials, it would update but it would not retain the info and it was the CCleaner. I removed a check mark in there and it was ok then.

You might try looking in CCleaner's utilities, there is an office photo manager that is checked. If you have that you might remove the check mark and see if that fixes it. Look for anything associated with pictures and remove the check mark.

o

Pictures in most emails ARE Temporary Internet Files, which is one of the main reasons to have CCleaner,, to clean out Temporary Internet Files.

Probably a browser setting on how your browser handles reloading pages. Its not reloading the page each time you view it. That's why the F5 works.

o

Mikie, if it is not my CCleaner why would the colors change to one color ONLY after I use CCleaner?

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 14:23

You or CCleaner, deleted history I think. Your browser doesn't know what links you have visited after the history is cleared.

Here's my CCleaner settings in the tinypic site. It ignores history so my links always are visited or not always. Unless I run the Disk Cleanup from the drive or some other extensive cleaning program.

This post was edited by mikie on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 14:27

o

Thank you MIkie, it was CCleaner as I thought but I had not changed anything in there and it was alright at one time. That is the way it was with my MS Security Essentials, one day it worked, the next day it didn't and I had not changed a thing. I googled and found the solution to that problem.

I removed the two check marks you have removed in the photo. Thanks again.

o

Spoke to soon about this problem. You clued me in on what to look for solving the problem. It is not much of a problem anyway. It's just a mystery to solve.

o

Me again. Got a email from someone else and pictures did not show. Only got a red x. I know I either did something wrong or???? Any help.
This is on Windows Internet Explorer
Thanks again
Marie

o

OK now I really don't know what happened. Googled computer problem-red x and went to the microsoft site. They asked if I wanted them to fix it and I said yes. Now I see the pictures on that one site with the stamps fine!
But don't ask me what happened!
We will see.
Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here