Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open Office vs. Libre Office

Posted by not2bright (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 15:27

Hi,

I'm looking for a MS Office alternative for someone who does not want to pay for MS's version and really has only occasional need for such software (most of which is for reading emails sent to her in a format requiring an Office program to open it). I know about the Open Office alternative and have only recently learned of Libre Office. Has anyone here tried both of these programs who can give a brief review of which one you consider better ?

Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open Office vs. Libre Office

I use OO and it suits my needs well. I've not used LO yet, and since they are so closely related I wouldn't expect the differences to impact me very much. Since both are free, you should just flip a coin and take one for a test drive. There's really nothing to lose.

o

Before being issued Microsoft Office Enterprise for home use I used OO when working on documents transported between home and the office. I never had any concern, and I have to agree with AZ that there can't be too much difference between OO and LO.

DA

o

I use OO on all my computers including linux have not tried the LO, happy with OO.

o

LO was started by all the unhappy employee's whom left OO because of the new owner dislikes/incompatabilities/etc/or something very secret.

o

Same soup, different gravy as Mikie notes. But read report linked below for a fuller explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Open Office and Libre Office

o

Thanks for all the great responses !! I guess I'll suggest she go with OO and only try the other if she runs into problems. :-)

o

I downloaded and installed Libre Office several days ago. Other than just opening the word processor, I haven't really used it at all. Just thought I'd give it a try since I'm not really keen on Oracle's actions with what was an open source program.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here