Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Junk mail and spam increasing!!

Posted by jka1941 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 15:08

Is it just me, or is Hotmail bombarding us with junk and spam mail? I get 20 some every day. This started happening a couple of months ago. I am about ready to set up another email provider just for my online newsletters, purchases, accounts, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Junk mail and spam increasing!!

There has been no increase in my accounts. I have five Hotmail accounts and may get two spams collectively a week.

I am not saying this is the case, but unfortunately users tend to be their own worse enemy as they forget to utilize proper safety protocols with their e-mail. They open unsolicited e-mails thus validating their address, unsubscribe to the unsolicited e-mails again validating the address, and blindly subscribe to sites/newsletters/mailing lists which may be shared.

Utilize the Junk option on Hotmail as this will over a period of time reduce the spam to your Inbox.

When all else fails it may be time to set up that new account you are considering.

DA

o

OK, I thought I have been really careful about not opening or unsubscribing from junk mail. The stuff I have been getting just has been increasing immensely and doesn't seem to have any relevance to the type of newsletters I subscribe to. I think I will open another account.....

o

Why not open two. One for usage you deem important, and the other a throw away. You could even link them on Hotmail/Outlook so you only have to log in once to read both.

My five are all linked:

Family and Friends account
Forums account
Investment and Banking account
On-Line Shopping account
Miscellaneous Personal Business account

My throw away is a Yahoo account.

DA

o

DA, which of these ring through to your smartphone, if any?

While I personally use two unlinked ones - a normal one and another for things like forums that I don't want to be bothered with, I'd be interested to hear what benefits you get from having the extra categories separated. Thanks in advance.

o

Snidely, my Smart phone is on Gmail.

I have had this old msn/outlook for years, and there are just too much spam....

What I would like to do is open a new outlook for my online banking, credit cards, etc........ And use this old msn/outlook one for newsletters, ect. But I am so stupid, I can't find where or how to do this....... Damccoy, you have all this linked accounts. Please tell my how to do it.

Thanks for all your concerns. I guess I am not near as savvy as the rest of you.

o

S,
I only have a dumbphone, and I even dislike it. I hate being on tether. I don't consider myself that important or that I even need a phone as I am not one to sit and waste my time on the phone with chit-chat. I only have it due to my adult children's insistence. I might use 100 minutes a month and maybe a dozen texts.

My shotgun approach to addresses increases my security, keeps issues from accidentally cross contaminating the information, and allows me to be on the ready to shut down an address at any time if needed. With the accounts linked in Hotmail, and having the three prime accounts configured in Thunderbird its no inconvenience. However, to be diversified to this level may not work for others.

JKA,

Open your Hotmail account and click on the user name>Account Settings>Permissions>Select the task and follow the instructions. You can link up to five addresses.

DA

o

JKA spam is increasing for me also and I am doing it right. I have an extra account I can close, but it is coming in on my family and friends account. It has to be coming from places I thought I could trust, like Amazon. I have 3 email accounts, one is my master account with my server, one for places like amazon and one for places I go into just tell someone they are wrong. Like someone said that the star in Snowy River did that jump off the mountain top and rode a horse down the mountain side. LOL

o

I understand the tether view. I'm not one for long or multiple phone calls either. My smartphone (with my one "real" email on it) is for my own convenience for internet, apps and email. My friends and family seem to favor email communications. I do too, it seems more considerate to the recipient than a phone call.

It's interesting to hear how everyone takes the approach that works best for them.

o

I feel taking the time to talk with someone via the land line, or better yet personally, is politer than e-mails and texts. It is the personal interaction that brings it to the forefront.

In the spirit of fairness I should report I also have an employer provided phone which I could use for all things such as you folks do. However, I am under agreement that ANYTHING generated on the phone regardless of whether it is in-coming or out-going is work product and open for their review. No privacy so it is only used for work. The previously mentioned phone is my greatly minimal personal use phone. So if you think it is miserable carrying a cellphone try to often have to carry two.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 20:28

o

No unwanted SPAM coming to my Hotmail account even after MS changed the account over to Outlook. I have used this one account for registration purposes and such for years and have never had a huge problem with SPAM.

o

I seemed to get a large amount of spam in my 'serious, for family and billing' email address after providing the address to my doctor and chiropractor. I find it irritating that professionals would share or sell my email address.

o

think advertisers get a lot of email account info from gov offices. Pay your pubilc utilities online, or property tax, or order online a car tag .. suddenly email address is public info..

o

You sound like a conspiracy theorist, mikie. I think most legit businesses and certainly governmental sites have strict privacy practices. They can be hacked into, like any other site, but I think most can be trusted to not intentionally divulge info.

Pk, I personally don't consider chiropractors to be "professionals", but who knows. To each his own.

o

LOL Snidely! Professional miracle workers...I heart my chiropractor! I'm vertical again!

o

When you must have a degree, are required to be state licensed, accept payment, are validated by the health insurance community, and most of all can remedy my back and neck concerns you are without question a professional.

DA

o

Ok, you two, since you guys are discussing Chiropractors on my post about spam........ I will put my 2 cents worth in... Now, I want to say that my lower back pain has been helped immensely over the last 5 years. No surgery or prescription drugs, and now a once a month treatment keeps me going......... I think they are very professional and would recommend them to anyone suffering from back pain....... Oh and by the way, it looks like some of us have had lots of spam in hotmail/outlook and some haven't. I am going to deal with it and probably open another gmail account... :-)

o

JKA,

Historically the diversion to a secondary topic has been accepted here as long as the core topic has been or is being addressed. From my observation through the years it allows members an avenue of contact and expression in areas other than HDDs, GBs, AVs, and Internet. Ninety-five percent of the time it is light, entertaining, or informative. The other five percent? Well, let's just say.....maybe nothing. I will just let that go.

DA

o

"When you must have a degree, are required to be state licensed, accept payment, are validated by the health insurance community, and most of all can remedy my back and neck concerns you are without question a professional.
"

Always happy to have a discussion.

Conventional medicine practiced by physicians is science applied with art. The key word is science, that's why the NIH and med schools spend billions each year for research to understand and treat diseases and conditions.

Chiropractic practices fail scientific scrutiny, and no research is done. Reach your own conclusion. Benefits are explained by the placebo effect - which is can be real. It's otherwise hocus-pocus, quackery, use whatever words you like .

Schools - while most people that apply to med schools aren't accepted, almost all people going to chiropractic schools are. It's about as hard to get in to them as the trade schools that teach auto mechanics.

Insurance companies are happy to cover chiropractors because the charges are lower than from physicians.

The danger with chiropractors is when they try to treat conditions they don't understand and make the patient think it's unnecessary to see a physician. Most stay away from that because they realize that a backrub does nothing for diabetes, for instance.

Backs don't have alignment, and can't be adjusted. If it helps your pain and you feel better, so be it. A native American shaman has about as much to offer you (or more) in medical treatment than a chiropractor.

o

Well, Snidley, that is your opinion, however my Arthritis Advisor endorses Chiropractors as an alternative, and it helps me I will continue...... I do not want to be drugged if I don't have too. All I know is I feel so much better and it has helped me for years.

Have a great day, and I wasn't complaining, so don't take it that way......... :)

o

Good for you jka, I don't like and won't take any drugs except pain meds if I ever need them.

o

I am certain where this conversation is going so I am done with it. I don't want to end up having to take a sabbatical as others are.

DA

o

Not sure it's going anywhere in particular, I just don't like seeing people being duped. If it works for you guys, great.

o

Let's keep it going!

How about therapeutic massage? Seems to have some real benefits. And sometimes physical therapy works wonders. I don't rule out anything, including accupuncture and tens.

o

I am a huge advocate of my portable tens unit. It has helped immensely with pain control. The pain meds didn't even touch the pain that I had with a pinched nerve. My spine is almost back in alignment after a couple months of adjustments. I can sleep through the night and walk without pain now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here