Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got a new computer...

Posted by sjt2900 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 14:50

DH just got a new Toshiba laptop. I downloaded MSE for him, but what else should be done to a new computer to make it safe and run well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got a new computer...

Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
CCleaner

These work for me. YMMV.

o

Make the recovery disks, repair disks.

o

Yes..cant over emphasize, make the recovery disks and dont put it off...too many people do, then come to the forum lamenting the fact that their harddrive died and they dont have an OEM of their Operating system and they didnt make their recovery disks...

o

I agree with Zep and Gene, make those recovery disks as they can be vital down the road.

o

Use pcdecrapifier. Com to get rid of the bloat ware.
Fully remove the AV that comes on it.
Spywareblaster by javacool update once and enable all protection.
Make the disks, and use an imaging program to have a good clean image to be able to use to restore everything easily.
There are good free ones, ask if you need help finding one.

o

Not sure what an imaging program is. Can you explain it? If I go into Control Panel, System & Security, Backup your computer, I'm given the options to create System Image and create System Repair Disc. Are these 2 options not enough?

o

If this is Windows 7, yes the create system image will do an image backup for you. Back up to DVDs or an external hard drive. The system repair disk, if I recall correctly, is not the same as the recovery disks mentioned by Zep, Genes, and Owbist. It is also important, but the recovery disks will be your life-saver (it has been mine). My Win 7 recovery took 4 blank DVDs. The system repair disk is only one disk, I believe.

You should have a separate partition (D?) on your laptop called the recovery partition. This is what you need to put on DVDs. Your Toshiba manual (probably an online PDF) should explain how this is done.

I purchased a Toshiba portable external hard drive, and that is where I store my backups. I have my recovery DVDs stored in a safe place.

o

Toshiba laptop here has the recovery partition unmounted .. so sort of no drive letter or hidden. If problems arise, it automatically mounts & runs Recovery, or Repair, other options to choose from.

It came packaged with Recovery DVD too. Wish it was a regular Windows DVD & seperate driver Disk, because you surely cant tell what's what the way they labeled all the directories .

o

sjt2900..ifyou dig out your user manual and look at the first few pages there should be something in there of How to make recovery disks...

o

as an additional safety precaution it is a good idea while doing all of that, make a copy of all of your drivers just in case.
Double Driver
is free and can do that for you.

o

First install a antivirus software to protect your laptop from the virus. Its the first need to beware of Trojans.
I use kaspersky....

Here is a link that might be useful: Virus Removal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here