Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laptop Freezes

Posted by cricketm (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 14:09

Why does my Laptop Vista (IE 9,0) freeze every once in awhile? I disk clean, defrag, scan , Malwarebytes anti malware, CCleaner, ATF Cleaner exe., clean cookies, etc. weekly.

I do notice when I visit sites that are very popular, i.e., American Idol ......it only freezes when I visit these popular sites. What I do is shut down my computer and start up again.

Any suggestions....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laptop Freezes

It may be something as simple as at that time the demand for the site's streaming is greater than its capability.

DA

o

damccoy...I think you hit it right on.....I think the site's streaming is greater than it capability too. It only happens when I visit very popular sites that are in the news...

Thanks for clearing up this matter with me. I appreciate it.

o

Are you hooked up to your router via cable or wireless..depending on how fast your internet connection is could be another factor with the live streaming..refreshing the Page sometimes helps

o

Genes....I am hooked up to wireless network connection...cable Linksys WRT54G.

When I go to the site...it freezes and keeps the whole page or site in view, but my mouse cannot do anything....and when I go to the x to escape the site it beeps but doesn't let me do anything. So I have to shut down and start up again....it does not happen often only when I go to a busy site...in my opinion. I am unable to refresh the site.!
I have no add-ons....all are disabled....

o

Have you tried this site with different browsers to see if the problem persists

o

Try FF or Chrome..it might make a diff

o

The F5 key on your keyboard will refresh the page too. I get that a lot when I play Zynga games.

o

Thanks pkponder....I will try it the next time it happens. F5

o

Have you tried another browser on those sites to see if it still freezes

o

Since no one else has suggested heat I will do so. How long since you have cleaned out the vents around the cooling fan? Heat may be causing the freeze due to the processor quitting to protect it from frying. All processors are protected in this way to avoid costly repairs.

Here is a 2 minute video showing you how to do the task.

The other point is making sure the vents are clear during use, no resting it on a thick tablecloth. No resting that side on thick clothing if the computer is on your lap.

o

owbist.....I do clean my Laptop and it is raised on the desk (My husband made me something) and it is never on my lap...

I have tried another browser....and

I disabled AUDIO_MP3 Moniker (Microsoft Corporation )from my add-ons...

It has been three days and it has not froze...I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again to all the posters who advised me...I appreciate it very much. I will keep you posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here