SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Printing portion of PDF page.

mudlady_gw
14 years ago

I read almost nothing of my local paper so I recently opted for the online paper to save money--and paper. The most interesting feature of my small town paper is the crossword puzzle. It is easy and I enjoy the challenge of completing it in ink and only a few minutes. I thought I would be able to print the puzzle until I started receiving the Auburn Citizen and found that it is in PDF format. Some of the items on these pages are protected from reprinting and the page with the puzzle will not let me highlight and copy the puzzle. I can highlight the adjacent classified entries but the puzzle remains untouchable. I enlarged the print and tried to get a screen shot that contains the puzzle. This yields a small picture of the puzzle and the area immediately around it and it isn't clear enough to be enlarged. Is there any way around the PDF problem?

Thanks.

Nancy

Comments (25)

• bob414
    14 years ago

Your best bet is probably a screen capture utility like this one which is recommended on Gizmo's site.
    I haven't used it but it looks like you can capture a rectangular area and print it.
    You have to consider why they have it protected the way they do.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

if it is a pdf, why can't you simply go to the page in the pdf file that holds the crossword puzzle, use the zoom feature of your pdf viewer to get it the size you want then choose print from your pdf viewer to print that page of the pdf file?

I like doing crosswords also there are some great sites online with all kinds of crossword puzzles have you tried those? There are ones you play online but also many that are printable
    Printable Daily Crossword Puzzles
    Crossword Puzzles
    just google search for them.

• Related Discussions

How do I enlarge a PDF file/pattern?

Q

Comments (5)
    Bob, as of today, I am intimately involved with every worthless feature of my printer. lol I tried that, I click on it, change it to 400% and it reverts right back to 100. So I turned on the poster option and picked the one that looks like it's 4 times bigger than a regular page and nothing happens, it just freezes up and doesn't print at all. Grrrrr! I'm thinking that should really do it, but what do I know? I give up. I'll stop by a Kinko's or something and use one of their copiers and save myself the aggravation of this thing. Chances are I'll never even use it, but dangitall, I wanted to figure it out! Thanks for trying to help me, though, I do appreciate it!
    ...See More

I just printed the online newspaper PDF crossword puzzle!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Congratulations! I followed your previous post and know the frustration of following directions and coming up with...nada. There's a satisfying sense of accomplishment when that eureka moment occurs and the problem is solved. Sorry your moment came at the untimely hour of 2:37 A.M. - hard to share the joy with anyone at that hour! This forum is great, isn't it? So many helpful, knowledgeable, and patient contributors. It's the first one I click on each A.M.
    ...See More

Printing PDF

Q

Comments (13)
    I use a program called "calibre", to convert e-book files of one type to another, say a Kindle file type to a Nook file type. Calibre is a free progam. If I download an e-book that is in PDF format I need to convert to an EPUB file that my Nook requires. It has a dozen or more file types that you can choose from. So I downloaded the NC fuel file and converted it to a RTF file using the "calibre" program. The new file was printable and could be edited but the tables were screwed up. On a lark, I converted the NC fuel PDF file to another pdf file. Lo and behold the new pdf file was printable and all the safe guards were gone. Steve
    ...See More

Converting printed pages to WORD

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi bus, I have an Epson 4490 that has a button on the front that scans to PDF (Adobe Reader) and an Edit page is there. My old scanner let you scan to MSWord but I never used those options to know what to expect? I just scanned to try the button for PDF and these things popped up. May be of use for you? I will have to learn more on how to use the features my scanner has to offer. Urlee
    ...See More
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

There is a utility which allows you to crop PDF files to print.

I used it before, somehow I lost the program.

dcarch

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Raven,
    No, I can't highlight, copy and print. It may be controlled by the paper rather than PDF, but I can't get MY puzzle. I love this puzzle because it is easy and I can complete it while I eat supper. I do the puzzle in ink and go as fast as I can. I enjoy other puzzles, but I have been doing this one for years and it is pretty much the only reason I have been getting the paper since 1970. The puzzle is not identifeid or I might be able to find it elsewhere. I will try the utilities mentioned above.
    Nancy

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I did not mention using highlight copy and paste method, I suggested using the pdf reader it self to simply print page from pdf file no highlight needed

what program are you using to view the pdf in? are you saving the pdf file to your pc if not do so then try the method I have suggested. I use pdf-xchange on my systems rather than adobe.
    PDF-XChange the free version.
    but all pdf viewers should allow you to go to one specific page in the file, and print that page.

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Raven--
    You ask tough questions. I thought the use of PDF was controlled by the document being viewed. I nutsed around with an open PDF document and I believe I am using Adobe Acrobat. My browser is IE. I have never found it comfortable to navigate within a PDF document. The print command prints the entire page and the puzzle clues are too small to comfortable read. I guess I will go play around more with the paper displayed in PDF. I have always found PDF files to download slower than HTML so I choose HTML if allowed. Oh, I did copy portions of the page with print screen and I pasted that into Word. I want to highlight and copy and place in a Word document and be able to resize as I choose. It is easy to change the font size of print, but when it comes as an image the resizing results in loss of clarity of the printed words. It must be extremely obvious that I am a terrible computerdyslexic. I have used this term and a screen name in the past. I even registered Computerdyslexic.com as a domain name many years ago.
    Nancy

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't want to capture a page--I want only the portion that shows the puzzle.
    Nancy

• urlee
    14 years ago

Just for curiousity, I scrn copied to my PSP7 and came up with this from my town paper in PDF.
    Is this what you are after?

{{gwi:1461300}}

{{gwi:1461301}}

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Urlee,
    I don't understand PSP7. Did you copy from a PDF file? I copied your response above and pasted it into Word 2000 and it looks great! BTW, your puzzle is the same as the one in my online PDF newspaper, the Citizen in Auburn, NY. If I could learn the identity of the puzzle creator I might be able to find his work somewhere on the internet. Then I might even decide to cancel the paper altogether. I grew up in CT, 60 miles out of NYC and the Citizen is really small town. I'm not really interested in the local news (and the paper is 90% local news, the national news is relegated to the last page of the sports section) even though I have lived in this area sine 1970. If I could live anywhere I chose, it would be coastal Maine.

I just updated my personal info on this forum and I don't mind sending my ID and password to the paper if anyone wants to experiment on this PDF copy.
    Nancy

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

she did a screen capture of the crossword puzzle from the pdf and then used her Paint shop pro (psp7) software to create the image she posted.

You can use the windows built in screen capture feature by hitting the print screen button on your keyboard, that will save it then you need to paste it somewhere to do the editing or what ever you want to do to it. For example you could open an email and hit paste and it would put it right into the email, or in a word doc.

I like to use a dedicated screen capture tool which is has more options than the one built into windows. The link bob gave you above to Gizmo's site lists several good options. With a screen capture program you can just snap the section you want to save and save it as a .jpg file to your computer and then print it from there.

Now let me see if I can try to tell you how to do what you need done just using your current pdf reader.
    Open the page in your pdf viewer, at the top you should have a tools list you want to choose the select tool which will allow you to click on the page and draw a rectangle around the entire puzzle that you want to save, if you need to make the puzzle larger before you save it up at the top of your pfd reader there is a zoom feature you can click it to make the image larger, once it is the size you want you go to the tools and choose to use the select tool and draw the rectangle around your puzzle. once it is enclosed in that rectangle it should have an option pop up that says save to clipboard; save to file. Choose to save to file, save it as a jpeg and give it a name, remember where you save it to. Go there and open it, then once you have it open as the jpeg file you can print it using file at top then print.

I do not use adobe so the directions may be slightly different I use the free pdf exchange that I provided a link to, if you want to download it you can.

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Raven,
    I downloaded PDF X-Change and set it as my default PDF. I used the select tool but it doesn't work on the puzzle. It does work on other text on the same page. If you are willing to email me I will give you my ID and password so you can view my online newspaper. It isn't like I am giving out my bank or credit card info. I believe Garden Web allows members to mail each other via Garden Web but I can't find the tool that allows that. My email is listed in my personal info and it is istj at tds dot net

Nancy

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

PDFs allow protection to be applied to them so that end users are prevented from copying and printing them. The obvious reason for that is to stop people from stealing copyrighted stuff.

Nearly anybody who is tech savvy can come up with ways to get around copy protection.

I think there's a simpler solution here.

Contact the newspaper. Tell them you're a subscriber. Tell them that one of the main reasons you subscribe is for the puzzle. Explain how you'd like to solve it.

They will most likely change.

If they don't accommodate you, drop the subscription.

• bob414
    14 years ago

I didn't know the print screen utility I use is still available. It is called PrintKey2000 and you can download it free and it is very easy to use. Go to this link and download and install the program. That will put it in your start up folder so that it starts when you start your computer but you won't see it until you press the Print Screen key. Then you will see this:

{{gwi:1461303}}

Click on 'Rectangle' in the tool bar. Now the PrintKey screen will minimize and you place the cursor at one corner of the crossword, hold down the left mouse button and move the cursor to the opposite corner. Let up the mouse button and there will be a rectangle around the crossword. Now click on the 'Printer Options' tab on the right side of the PrintKey screen. Choose to print the puzzle at 300 or 400% and then press the 'Print' button. You may have to experiment a little with the size to get it the way you want.
    Instead of printing the puzzle you could press the 'Save' button on the tool bar and save it as a .jpg or other graphic format. You may want to use the function for something other than the crossword.

• urlee
    14 years ago

Thanx Raven for answering Nancy for me and I would like to add.
    I did make the puzzle larger to my liking before I Print screened it. Then in PSP7, I cropped it.
    Just like Nancy, my selection tool doesn't work on the puzzles.

bob414,
    Nice info. I will have to look at that as a friend of mine can not get the Prnt screen to work on his HP laptop. My thinking it was his laptop, tried it on a HP at Wal-mart and it won't work on that one either? Is there a trick to getting the Prnt Scrn button to work on HP laptops??
    What I did was, I hit the Prnt Scrn button. Then I went to Paint and the paste was greyed out.

• bob414
    14 years ago

On my HP laptop there is a 'fn' key on the bottom row next to the 'ctrl' key on the left end. You have to hold that down while you press the 'prt sc' key to get the print screen function for that button.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Corel Photo has a print screen utility which will allow you to capture or print any part, any shape of the screen you chooose.

dcarch

• urlee
    14 years ago

Thank you Soooooooo Much bob.
    I shall pass that on to my friend and you sure made someone (2) a happy camper today!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

there are many really good useful screen capture free programs out there, bobs link to those at gizmo provides several of the top choices. Many have the editing stuff all built in to them. On my linux I have one called ksnapshot which is so easy to use wish they had just that item for windows. On windows I have used a few including the gadwin program and I have used this one
    Screenpresso logo
    and the picpick one mentioned at the gizmo site.

I had no idea the pdf select tool would not work on some items. That is strange. on the ones y'all tried it on had you actually saved the pdf file to your pc or were you viewing the pdf file from the online site? just wondering if that would make any difference. I have never encountered that problem.

• urlee
    14 years ago

Mudlady-------------

The snapshop tool works in PDF! It copies to your clipboard.

{{gwi:1461305}}

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

there on urlee's graphic above you can also see the zoom feature which you can use to make the crossword the size you want before you capture it.

urlee what pdf program are you using? I use pdf exchange and do not have the snapshot tool on it, so not all share that tool apparently.

• urlee
    14 years ago

Adobe Reader

• bob414
    14 years ago

There is a camera icon on the PDF Exchange Reader toolbar that is the snapshot tool. I still find it easier to use the PrintKey2000 utility because I don't have paste the 'snapshot' into a graphics program to print it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I just realized when I opened the pdf and could not find the camera icon that I was on my linux and was using kpdf to open it and it is the one that does not have the camera icon.
    Sorry about that, some days I just don't seem to know where I am LOL

• bob414
    14 years ago

I understand completely. Do you use ksnapshot the same purpose in linux? That's the one I use.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

yes I love ksnapshot wish I had one for my windows machines, so simple to use.
    I am generally on linux daily and sometimes I don't even think about what I am using when I am trying to work something out, and of course linux ain't windows LOL

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz