SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Is this a good laptop (for 12yo) - price and spec wise?

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

We may be getting my daughter a laptop for her 12th birthday. Her pc is from 2002 - and becoming quite the dinosaur. Certainly she wants this to play on it (mostly internet surfing, gmail buzz, skype and her Sims game for PC). But now that she's in Middle School, there are a lot of assignments that require a computer - both for research and word processing. So we'd like one with a decent keyboard and what she'll need for her recreation. And this will be the first computer in the house to have Windows 7.

This one that Costco's offering seems like a great purchase, but I'd love opinions here since I'm not that savvy about this stuff.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11619567&whse=BC&Ne=5000141+4000000&eCat=BC:84:56670:78129&N=4047232%204294898679&Mo=1&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price:1::P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10590-Cat56670&topnav=

A couple of side notes:

- how can I provide a shorter, more clickable link?

- if we get her a laptop (and we have some concerns), I'd want to set this up so that I'm the administrator - and she can be a guest user. She has locked me out of her ipod touch (which isn't a huge issue but may become more of one as she learns about more apps and sites that she's too young for - without my being able to check. I also need to have master access to keep it updated with anti-virus and anti-spyware and other program updates. Is there a way to do this (or tutorial?). At this point, I'm not interested in checking on everywhere she's been - but that might come at some point.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (27)

• azinoh
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For shorter links, I use the one below.

While I love my Samsung TVs so far, I don't know anything about their computers and was not even aware they made computers. It seems to be a good bang for the buck and the review on CNET is positive.

Here is a link that might be useful: TinyURL

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Lynn, you can do a link when you preview your first post. For some reason, the boxes for a link don't appear when you write your new post.

This is only good for initial posts. It comes up on replies. But your link doesn't seem to work anyway.

Try just spelling out the product by brand and model.

• Related Discussions

Good laptop deal today only 11-13

Q

Comments (9)
    actually Big Lots is the one selling the stock from Circuit City which is closing out most of their stores so these are indeed new in the box brand new items just like you would find at the CC stores. I have bought many items computer related there for excellent prices and have been extremely happy with them, The cordless mouse I am currently using, the 3 usb hubs I have connected to my pcs, a memory card reader, some speakers, the kingston flash drives and several of the SD memory cards just to name a few so I personally must say I do and would buy there, with no negatives. My husband loves to go there to see what kind of great buys he can find on tools. when they are the ones handling the liquidation of brand name stores you really can get some great buys then. Recently they had a huge liquidation of Pier One Import items. I regularly shop there which is why I have signed up with their online buzz club to get the advance info for the sales. I have never had to return anything I purchased there. I know that it does depend on which area of the country and which stores but the ones here are all excellent and I would not hesitate to purchase there. IF they do have reconditioned items for sale it says it clearly on the package and also on the sale flyers, they did have some Dyson vacuums a while back which were all labeled as reconditioned. When they did the Eckerds liquidation I stocked up on my diabetes items like the lancets, alcohol pads, and got a great new electronic blood pressure monitor for dirt cheap, same one I had looked at in Eckerds in fact. But that is just my personal shopping experiences. If I did have the spare money I would love the HP lappy unfortunately I just got a new vehicle so I am broke LOL. there will be some awesome sales heading into the Black Friday time period.
    ...See More

Pricing for RELIABILT doors...too good to be true?

Q

Comments (28)
    I just bought my 2nd Reliabilt barn door. The first one was easy to install with quality installation materials. Well the 2nd one NOT SO MUCH. What a disappointment. The “plugs” for where there are no studs were horrible. They fell apart, I promise it was professionally installed. There was no board for bracket (it was there for the first door) it turns out it IS it is important. Between purchasing new “plugs” PLUS A BOARD (We chose oak for durability) it was an additional $50+. I am terribly disappointed. I feel you probably don’t really care, however, I am sharing my disappointment. I will not tell my friends to use your product. BTW, this might be the reason Lowe’s has not been selling them🤷‍♀️, just saying. Donna Hammond
    ...See More

Could someone take a look at this laptop?

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks. I never had a problem with Dells, so I guess I'm lucky. I have had problems with an HP laptop, and decided I wouldn't deal with them again. Could have been bad luck, but it does turn you against dealing with a company you had a hard time with. My experience has been that most businesses use Dell computers so they must be doing something right. I guess its sort of like Chevy or Ford. I am looking for a desktop. I was tempted to get a laptop which I could hook a monitor to, but it costs more than buying a desktop. I want an I5 or I7. I want memory and hard-drive. I want HDMI and lots of usb ports. I want a good monitor and I want a machine where I can stream video and not worry about it. And, I'd like to keep it under $1,200.00! I'll keep looking. Doing a lot of research because I would be replacing our main computer. We do have lots of laptops, XP and a Win 7 and Win 8 (never use it). I still have concern about the upgrade option to Win 10. Might be better to wait until the compters come installed with it. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out by then. I'm glad to hear I can use my older version of Office on a Win 8. So glad our XP's are still going strong and all our security software still updates without any problems. Jane
    ...See More

need new laptop

Q

Comments (48)
    Lea, The SSD Drive on that Laptop is only 16gb. The SSD Drive is the Hard Drive (Storage Space). Memory is a totally different thing (RAM Random Access Memory). Your computer uses RAM when your doing things on the computer. Once you turn the computer off, the RAM dumps whatever you were working on (this is why you should Save your Projects before shutting it down). A Hard Drive (in your case an SSD Drive) is where that information would be saved. I believe the Specs I looked at showed you had 4gb RAM, that should be okay for now. The SSD Drive was only 16gb, which you could burn thru quickly. Some, but not all computers can be upgraded easily (not sure about yours). It could be a possibility the SSD Drive could be upgraded to a larger SSD Drive. I would advise you have this done at a computer shop if you've never done anything like this before. Sounds like you can use 100gb of Cloud Space for Free for the first 2 years. After the 2 years there will most likely be a small fee to use the space. Each Cloud is different and may charge a little differently. You could save a lot of stuff in this Cloud Space, Pictures, Videos, Music, Movies, etc... As for the SD Slot, I believe the Specs I looked at showed this computer has an SD Slot. Check around the edges of the Laptop, most have a Mock SD Card in the Slot that needs to be removed for use (keeps the Dirt Out). After using the SD Drive I'd reinsert the Mock SD Card for safety. You can put his photos on a USB Flash Drive and view them any time you want by plugging the USB Flash Drive into an open USB Port. Storage is all up to you. You can: Increase the SSD Drive Size Use the 100gb Cloud Space Use an SD Card Use a USB Flash Drive This is where I can't help you a lot. I'm not sure how you access Files and Folders on the Chrome OS. I'm sure there has to be an APP for Viewing Files and Folders (you may have to be downloaded the APP, not sure). I did find out that I can Download and Install the Chrome OS on any computer for Free. I may do this in the future (gotta' find some free time) just so I'm able the help Chrome Users better! I've never used the Chrome OS and have never worked on a Chromebook Computer (yet).
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

the review on that page that lists the pros and cons seems like one I would definitely consider, especially what they say about the mirror like quality of the monitor, I have seen some of those and it would drive me nuts to see everything reflected and would cause me a lot of difficulty seeing what is on the screen.
    The specs are fairly standard for a middle of the road laptop today and should be fine for what she will be doing.
    I am one that really does listen to the user reviews of those that own the product. I also have no knowledge of Samsung quality in computers, I do love my Samsung Plasma and I just bought Samsung front loader washer and dryer, so I do like the brand but not at all familiar with their pc.
    It is small almost netbook size rather than laptop that may make a difference for everyday use. I would also research if you can find a battery for it since some have complained of battery life and some said they could not find another bigger battery.
    Other than those minor cons it looks nice if you can handle the small size.

• homebound
    13 years ago

I wish we never gave our teens laptops.

Having administrator access may sound great in theory, but managing and limiting their usage takes way more than that..it's closer to impossible. No matter how they promise otherwise, the leptop will migrate to their rooms and keep them up later and later with Facebook, Oovoo, Skype, you-name-it. It's a constant battle to get the darned things turned off (and then not turned back on for some "school-related" excuse). Yes, you can take it away in the evenings, etc. but the cycle never ends.

Finding one kid at 2:00am on a schoolnight video-chatting with some boy in the bathroom was the last straw for me. That laptop is now required to be in the living room at all times.

Now that I'm done my little cautionary rant, and to get back on topic, it seems like a good value that will meet your needs. You can also get an Acer at Costco w/ 15" screen and 6mb RAM for the same price. Check on the video card to see if it's sufficient for you.)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Lynn-
    Samsung makes good quality laptops, and it's through Costco, so you've got 90 days to return any computer if it doesn't work out, and they extend the warranty to two years. The specs are plenty powerful for a teenager and should more than satisfy any school-related need. My only concern is that the screen size is of modest size for a laptop, so you should check some screen sizes in person to make sure she is good with it. If she is going to be carrying it around, this might be a very good size. If it's going to be at home all the time, then the luxury of a slightly larger screen may be nice.

(P.S.: the easiest way to have a hotlink is to paste it into the little box beneath the message box that is labeled "Optional Link URL" and then give it a name...like I just did.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung laptop

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I'd have to imagine just about any computer would be sufficient for word processing, because no one can type as fast as a processor can process. :-) Ditto for doing "research" on the web.

Take a look at CNet, they do regular reviews of laptops in all price ranges.

Making the rules of the game clear to a youngster early on can be advantageous. I've heard that for cell phones, some families require them to be on the kitchen counter at a certain time every evening. Frankly, there shouldn't be any discussion about passwords. Your house, your rules.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Homebound, set up a place for laptops, cell phones and all other electronics that take to much of their time. Set a time for all of them to be in that place at bedtime.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

From the beginning of the Internet era the main child security advice that has never changed is keep the system in the main living area.

DA

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Every family is different. I always tried to let my teenagers know my expectations, and then trust them until they messed up. Most of the time, when they were treated with respect, they responded by acting responsibly. Was I wrong a couple of times? Yes. But we worked it out, and now they are adult, moral individuals who make good choices and still call for advice occasionally.

Unfortunately, if a child/teenager is determined to do something, and you try to make it harder for them to do it, it just stimulates their creativity. You can do all you are able to in regard to restricting things at home, but, are you going to be looking over their shoulder all the time? Are they ever going to be home alone? And if you let them out of the house, don't you think that they are going to have many opportunities with friends to do just the kinds of things you've made attractive by restrictions at home?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have rules and boundaries. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that if you are rigid about computer use and location at home this will prevent problems; in fact, it may make things worse.

Just my 2 cents.

• gnhelton
    13 years ago

Looks pretty stout to me.

Intel processor which is always a plus in my book. Introduced about sept 10 so fairly current technology. It's not a high end processor but I think would great for what you talking about using it for. It doesn't support virtualization technology but unless you daughter will be running virtual machines I don't think you will need it(g)

The minimum RAM I would ever want on any Win 7 system would be 4G. This machine has 4G. The processor will support up to 8 so you can probably add more if you ever want. That would be something I'd ask the sales person. That is, If memory is expandable on the system.

Nice harddrive size. 500G. It's 5400 RPM which is pretty standard until you start talking about higher end systems. For your daughter I would think this would give plenty of room to sync her iPpd etc.
    Read/Write Dvd (RW) So she will be able to not only play movies, and run DVDs but she will also be able to burn whatever to DVD.

Display 14". That's fine.. Actually the mini's drive me crazy with my aging eyes.

But the Nvidia video card is really a plus. Nvidia makes good products and it's a definite plus to have a standalone video card to take the video load off the CPU. Nice card in this Laptop.

Wifi is pretty standard and supports the N in the 802.11b/g/n standard so it can use the faster wifi speeds where available. Plug in LAN card for wired Ethernet is slow 100mg. But whoever uses that anymore anyway in a laptop and it is still faster than wifi. Fine for this laptop.

One expansion slot so you can another card if needed at some point. e.g. cell phone card..

Plenty of ports HDMI to plug to a TV and 2 usbs for iPod, phone, etc.

Windows 7 home addition. I always want the pro addition for myself. Home is ok and covers the basics and things most people want. Like being able to watch TV, home network, user access control, Big things you don't get with home addition XP mode so that you can run older incompatible XP and before applications. But even if you had pro addition this processor does not support it. And some of the advanced networking capabilities like system backup.

Hidden cost:
    Warrenty: Lots of people feel different ways about this. What is the basic, do you want extended, does Cosco offer one?

I'm not sure what kind of support Samsung has but what is their repair policy. Do you have to ship to them for repair, does tech come to your house or do you take it back to CostCo?

What are you going to use for word processing? If you are going to use Office will you have to buy it? Be very careful when they say Office is installed on the laptop. Most of the time that is true but almost every time it is an evaluation copy that you will have to buy or it will cease to function.

How will she print? .

BTW: if I want to monitor what someone is doing on the internet at home I do it on the router and log access to sites. Depending on which router you have. You can also block sites from there. If they get really sassy you can exclude the mac address so they can't connect to your wifi.
    Anyway, I've typed to much already. Sorry for the length

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

lynn-
    Something else to consider:

I just got an email from Costco, and here is an HP computer with almost identical specs but a bigger screen, and it's $100 cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: HP computer

• homebound
    13 years ago

Regarding teens in general, I'm just saying that it's not as effortless as the advice column tech gurus would have us all believe.

Sure, folks can monitor via the router, block sites and all that. But for many parents even with "good kids" the issues still can revolve around their lack of time management, excessive use of social media, excessive (practically compusive?) texting, etc. It all adds up. Teaching time management skills in the internet age is a great challenge, even with the best kids out there.

Then there's the parenting challenge of learning who they're associating with at any given time. It was much easier for parents when kids didn't have the means of cellphones, texting, laptops, etc. Just when you think you've maintained an open, trusting relationship with a kid about their associations, they may very well do what kids do: omit info you would consider quite important. Developmentally for teens, that's to be expected to a certain extent, yet parents always seem surprised at learning this.

Enough said. And as Garrison Keillor would say, "...and may all your kids be above average."

• vala55
    13 years ago

Kudzo, I was speaking of safety which is the most important job parents have. You were lucky with your kids, a lot of parents have not been.

You do the best you can in the situation you are in. The computer can be a dangerous thing to naive people, my neighbor and her daughter are a good example. In that case the daughter was a 40 year old adult, earning her own way and she still fell for his line and paid for it.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow. You guys are great. I think I feel solid about the specs of this computer - and can see that comparable specs can be found in this price-range fairly easily (Costco's HP, Microcenter has many, Newegg). We'll probably use open office. I have found that it's more easily compatible with the Word for Mac files she uses at school - no need to buy another Word for PC.

As for size, I don't think she needs a bigger screen - and would probably prefer it being lighter weight. My husband has a heavy 15.5" laptop that she uses - bc. he'll let her. I have a 13" thinkpad that she'd love to use - but I rarely let her (except briefly when she broke her ankle and it's size was easiest for her while laying on the couch).
    ----------------------------

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness about how to handle teens and technology. All great points as I contemplate this. My daughter has already been on my husband's laptop in her bedroom - way past bedtime, checking email compulsively bc. her best friend is in Vietnam - so right past bedtime is when her friend might have written to her, etc. This past week she set her alarm for 12:15am (which I caught in time to remove the clock) - but I suspect was to chat with her friend in Vietnam at that hour.

Her recent behavior has inclined me not to get her a laptop bc. she is compulsive about it - and will want it in her room and feel outraged if we ask her to place her electronics outside her bedroom at bedtime (although I love that idea). As a mother, I think her recent behavior is cause to not give her a laptop. My husband thinks she should have one. (We are holding off on the cell phone - bc. she's just not mature and responsible enough yet to need one or keep track of it. My thinking is that if she's not mature enough to be on her own - without an adult - outside our home, then she doesn't need a cell phone. It's just her friends who commute by themselves to get home after school that have a legitimate need for one.)

Her PC is right near mine in our home office/den - and she hates that bc. she does want to be alone (not necessarily doing bad things at this point - but has a teen's desire for privacy). The desire for privacy - and therefore access to a computer in her own room - prior to bed time - is the one reason I could endorse getting her a laptop.

At this point, I am less concerned with the content of what she does online than the compulsive quality of it. But I know that any day she could add activity whose content would be problematic.

I'm happy to hear more thoughts on this. My husband and I will be mulling over this decision for the next couple of weeks.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

lynn-
    What worked for my daughters may not work for yours...there is a different answer for each child. And I'm certainly not going to claim that I didn't have a major issue occasionally, or that luck played no part. But I will share one idea with you. When each of our girls got to your daughter's age, and were seeking more responsibility, we sat down and jointly developed a "contract" -- a written agreement -- that each of them helped write, and then signed. It specified what was allowed/expected regarding chores, curfew, bed time, phone use, computer use, etc., and what the consequences would be for not honoring that contract. In this way, each girl knew in advance that, say, visiting inappropriate web sites would mean we would remove the laptop from her room for a month. Then we let them go and saw what happened. Having such a document probably prevented some bad behavior and cut short any arguments/negotiations about disciplinary consequences when there was a violation. When they were older, and dating and driving, we added to the contract. But what is more important than having a formal agreement with a kid is to have fully discussed issues and consequences in advance. I'm sure your daughter knows about at least some of your uneasiness, but have you actually sat down and had a complete discussion with her? Have you said: You may be old enough to have your own computer, but these are the reasons I am reluctant to do it? I love you and want you to be responsible and safe, so can we talk about this and share our ideas, before we come to a decision?

Twelve is a wonderful age, but you are also now at the start of a whole bunch of tough decisions, and this is just one of them. It's a good time to think about what your decision-making model will be as she starts becoming a young woman and more independent. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• homebound
    13 years ago

lynnalexandra,
    You have captured essence of teen entitlement quite well. It's akin to opening pandora's box, so now is the time to think it through.

While it's not an error to get a younger teen a laptop, it's advisable to have limits (where, when, how much) and be prepared for various situations that you forgot to consider. And their youth and development does matter. 8th grade to freshmen in high school - watch closely and stay firm with your expectations. The brain at that age will somehow forget any contract, and when you take it away, it will be a major pain for all since that will have already become the primary way they communicate with their peers, etc.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Kudzu, you have a lot of good sense and so do I, but I did not regarding teenage behavior. I thought if you set a good example they will follow your lead. How is the for naive? I met a man on ICQ that showed me why the internet is dangerous, especially for girls who are vulnerable. He came across as a true gentleman. He was educated, talked about good books, the opera, and had a good sense of humor. Three weeks into it, he got down to what he really wanted. I was not shocked or disappointed, my first thought was, "this is the kind of man that can lure young girls to meet them".

I liked the contract idea. I have a friend whose husband did the same thing regarding grown kids borrowing money, contract, very small interest, signed and put in the file cabinet. I wish I had thought of that.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for additional thoughts. I am a firm believer in communicating with my daughter. We haven't discussed the laptop yet - bc. she's not really campaigned for one very hard. If we get her a computer - we will discuss our concerns. She does know my concerns about her current computer use - the addictive, compulsive quality - where she feels she has to check email one more time before going to bed. I've told her that once it's time to get ready for bed, that all ipod and computer stuff should stop. She's resisting that one very hard - insisting that checking that email account doesn't slow her down from getting into pajamas (or whatever she needs to do). Of course that's ridiculous.

Last night I was out at a Board meeting and she had my husband's laptop in her room. She was supposed to get ready for bed early (9) due to an early Choir practice before school. When I came home at 10 she was just finishing getting ready - bc. when she went up to get ready for bed, her friend was on Gmail Chat - so they had to chat - which delayed her by an hour. To me, that's just why she needs limits. To her, that's exactly why she feels compelled to check - bc. an opportunity to chat with her deeply missed best friend is the only important consideration.

She's also just emerging from a pretty significant depression - and that alters a lot of her perception. She feels so deprived and bereft - that getting that fix of contact with her best friend, a goodie, etc - feels imperative. She's not in a good place for understanding and living with limits - but letting her know that she's going to miss out on a chance for a laptop will just intensify her sense of how deprived she is.

It's very nice to have a chance to weigh this with the thoughtful people here.

Oh - and I love the idea of a contract - and have often found myself wishing we'd had a contract - when she conveniently forgets all the things we agreed to.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• homebound
    13 years ago

She's likely to forget the contract as it's a typical teen thing. I wish I could remember where I read it, but teen memory, etc. is apparently limited by incompletely developed brain function. So says those who study brain scans. (Therefore, they may have a real biological excuse for forgetting, periodically driving us crazy, etc. after all - so don't tell them about the research.)

Regarding the need for their social contact, etc., certainly that's important. You are not depriving, just creating the rules and guidelines. There's a difference. I went through the same thing. Teens are full of emotional up's and down's regardless.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So after much thought - we decided to talk to our daughter and let her know that we wanted to get her a laptop - but that we also have concerns about her use of technology - and that we would only do this with a contract.

I'm going to be working on the contract for a while - and would welcome any ideas. So far, I know it will include that I have administrative control of the laptop - which will be used to update programs, run antivirus and antispyware - and generally ensure me that I have access (unlike her ipod which she changed her password on so I don't have access).

It also includes that all technology (ipods, laptop, etc) will be in the parent's bedroom - from when it's time to get ready for bed - until after school the next day (or the next morning if there's no school). (not having it in the kitchen over night bc. she'll sneak down and get it if she's awake in the middle of the night. She won't sneak into our bedroom to get it.) This will prevent her from using it in the middle of the night (esp. tempting when her friend lives in Vietnam is is available to chat at those times) - and thinking she can have the laptop open in the bathroom while she's getting ready for bed.

For now, I am not setting time limits - but will include that those could get added in the future if we think she's using it too much. The reason to not add it now is that she is using it a bit too much. BUT - that's bc. she loves her new Sims game - which is actually motivating her to do her homework as soon as she comes home. For the first time ever, I do not have to monitor her homework and keep asking her to do it (I still pay attention to what she's doing, but it's nice that the impetus to do it and stay organized is now coming from her). She's also coming out of a serious depression - and having some pretty terrific, responsible behavior - so any limits on amount of her free time spent on the computer - when she's meeting all her responsibilities - isn't as pressing for right now. She's also healing form a broken ankle - so in fairness to her, there's not as much active stuff she can do with her free time.

-------------------------------

I have some questions about how to set up her computer so I have administrative control. I have that set up on my computer now - and she can use it as a guest. But if my computer is off - and restarts, she needs the password to get on. She doesn't have the password to my computer (which is how I want it). But I do want her to be able to log into her own computer without me giving her the administrator's password. Is there a way to do this? Set it up so she can start the computer and log in as a guest?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that my daughter has agreed to a contract regarding her use of this laptop, I am back to shopping for a good one. She would most like a mid-range (14-14 1/2 inches). She finds my 13" a bit small, and finds my husband's (15) to be too large. Her desktop monitor is 15 (3:4 proportion - not widescreen) - and that feels like more than enough to her.

So we want Windows 7 - most in our $400-600 price range seem to only offer home premium (not ultimate - which might be nice just for xp mode for her games - Sims2- that might not run on windows 7). I know we need at least 4GB Ram. I do have questions about the processor. Are i3's alright or should I consider stepping up to i5 or i7 - or the AMD Phenom II Dual-Core.

Here is one particular one that look good to me. Would love feedback:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360187&utm_source=ACT_NON_BYO&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=E1027+eNews+20110412

The fact that it comes in cherry red cover is a real bonus to my daughter. Unimportant to me - but will add to the thrill for her. She really wants it to look cool/fun.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I just saw some very nice ones at Costco for good prices you might try there if you have one in your area, do you get their mailer with the coupons in it? That is where I saw them.

For a limited user or guest account you just set it up like you do for admin, you set it up with a name for the account and it's own password then when logging in you will see 2 accounts available she would just click on the one that is hers and enter her password. Just be sure your admin password is a strong one she would never be able to guess.

Acer AS5742

products

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Raven. I do get the Costco coupons - and there's a store within 40 minutes of me. I had always thought the Costco's pricing on computers and televisions was not really the bargain they wanted people to think. At least when I was carefully price shopping tv's, they did not have the best prices.

Some of their laptops look decent. I do want to stick to 14" - and the reviews of the 14" laptops there made me realize that a quality keyboard is also important. She will be doing more and more report writing/typing on the computer. The HP that looks so good in terms of specs and price has a terrible keyboard.

There's a Toshiba that looks good but is getting a little pricey - $649.

For the most part, our price range is turning up i3 processors. Are those okay - or should we spring for the i5? It also seems in our price range that we're not going to find a usb3 port - although many at least have esata ports (and the external drives I buy now mostly have an esata connection option).

Thanks.
    Lynn.

Glad to hear that setting up admin account and her account is easy.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• grandms
    12 years ago

For the foreseeable future, the USB2.0 ports should be just fine, and I believe the i3 processor would do the job for her. Only if she did lots of graphics editing, etc. would the extra cost for i5 be worth it. You should find several nice laptops in your price range. You might get more bang for the buck with a AMD processor rather than Intel---they are just somewhat less expensive for similar speed and power.

• camp56
    12 years ago

Costco prices in my area have always been very comparable to other stores. The BEST thing about Costco is the 2 year warranty and their absolutely wonderful service if you have any problems. When you have a problem you call their concierge service. They call the computer manufacturer for you and help with arrangements for repair. They check up on the progress and keep you informed throughout the repair process. If it costs a little more it is definitely worth it.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm? For some reason, the last two posts were never forwarded to me. Just saw them now. I did consider a Dell 14R through Costco - but in the end went through Dell with some amazing coupons and offers. Seemed a slightly better deal.

Now I'm actually trying to set it up before giving it to her on Tuesday. I'm making recovery disks. But I realize that I don't understand setting up the admin and her account. It's Windows 7. Where do I go to set up these two accounts?

I'm afraid I may already have blown it. it asked for a name for the computer - and I wrote dd's (her name - not actually dd) laptop - then it prompted me for a password - and I realized that I the computer name was going to be the administrator's name. I wanted to go back and change the name to admin - but there was no way to go back. So I was stuck using her name to create what I think is the admin account - and entered a password (a strong one).

If I'm right, have I permanently labeled the admin account as dd's laptop? Can I change it? It will piss her off (understandably so) if she doesn't have access to the account that says her laptop. (She's unhappy about the contract and limits - but reluctantly agreed.)

Can I change the computer name? If not, I guess we can name her guest account as just her name - or dd's dell? If I go ahead and set that up now - will she be able to change the name of her guest account if she wants? I noticed that it could have it's own password. Does that mean I won't be able to get on her account and check her activity? I do want to be able to do that.

For those following this thread from a parental perspective, I told her that I would have access for admin and updates, etc That as of now I was not interested in checking her activity and content - but that I reserved the right to do so any time I become concerned - but that I would always let her know if I was going to do that. Seemed fair to me.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

PS - does anyone have current links for the current versions of the following:

firefox
    avast
    malwarebytes
    superantispyware
    mcafee removal tool (a trial was installed on the computer - aargh!)
    spywareblaster
    secunia
    ccleaner

any other programs I've overlooked?

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I realize that if I'm asking about setting up my daughter's new laptop, I should really start a new thread on that topic. It doesn't really belong on this thread. So please ignore my previous post. I have figured out a couple of the answers - and will post my remaining questions in a new thread.

Thanks everyone.
    Lynn.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County