Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
computer shutting down

Posted by arosegirl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 12:15

I have a new computer using Windows 7. I need to change settings so it doesn't shut down with out me being aware of it. What do I need to change? Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: computer shutting down

I think you mean the computer is going to "Sleep".

If you set Hybrid Sleep to “off” then your computer will not sleep. To set it off do the following.
1. Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
2. Click on “Change Advanced Power Settings”
3. Expand Sleep
4. Under “Allow Hybrid Sleep” ensure that the settings is set to “Off”
Now your computer will be on all the time

o

No, the computer totally shuts down as in off!!!

o

I googled >computer shuts off by itself<

got "About 5,740,000 results (0.21 seconds)" :-)

Lotsa reasons. Most common theme seemed to be overheating.

o

What brand is this computer? Is it still under manufacturer's warranty?

o

Under Power Options in the control panel, besides sleep, are several choices. One is when to turn the computer off. Have you checked your settings?

o

Perhaps the heatsink fan has quit, then computer will indeed shut down to protect the processor (CPU)

If a desktop remove the side panel to see if the fan is spinning up, if a laptop feel the outlet for the air it will be on the side, back or bottom.

Or if the computer stays running long enough download Speccy from Filehippo and run it to see your temps. Stay with the free version.

Does the computer run for seconds, minutes or longer before shutting down?

o

I will check the settings. I think Windows shut it down after completing some updates. This is what I want to stop. I never want it to shutdown without my knowledge.

o

Short of editing the registry which may not be a good idea, I'm not sure you can prevent auto-reboot to complete updates.

You could of course turn off "Automatic Updates". Set it to download them but let you decide when to install them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here