Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anti Virus/Malware

Posted by jamesntn (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 11:35

Anyone using Microsoft Security Essentials? I cannot figure why I haven't heard of this product in my twelve years of owning a computer. :).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anti Virus/Malware

Hi jamessnth,

Little history:
"One year after the initial release of Microsoft Security Essentials, on 29 September 2010, it had gained 30 million users."

"The Security Industry Market Share Analysis report of June 2011, published by OPSWAT, Inc. states that Microsoft Security Essentials has been one of the most popular antivirus products in the world."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials

When it fist came out I tried it. Have been using it since. Simple and effective.

Joe

o

Microsofts Security Essentials is a simple Install & Forget .... so easy.

It was supposed to be a limited pubic beta to 75,000 users in June 2009. But ... software download sites all had it. So its not really that old since released to Public.

Current beta 4 version is a bit nicer than the current released version.

You can probably find the beta at sofware download sites, or join connect.microsoft.com to get it .. that's my suggestion almost always.

o

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials the day it came out and have never regretted the move. Great free and fully automatic program.

Because it is automatic there is a tendency to ignore it, just make sure the bungalow in the bottom rigth corner remains green and you are good to go.

o

We have been suggesting it for quite a while here. I have installed it on my families computers with good success.
When Windows 8 comes out it will be built in or something similar will be, they may have changed it up some by then.

o

Thanks, everyone. I am running AVG Free right now. Should I remove it before downloading MS Essentials?

o

Download MSE and then remove AVG using the appropriate removal tool.

Optional is also running the registry tool in CCleaner. Remove any appearing entries on the report relating to AVG and Grisoft. No guessing or getting adventurous allowed.

Finally install MSE.

DA

o

I am using MSE and am satisfied so far, but I am also more wary of it due to less-than-stellar reviews I have seen. I try to update it every day and do a full scan at least once a week. I also do weekly scans with MBAM and SAS and supplement that with a monthly scan by an online provider (usually ESET or Trend Micro). So far this has worked well for me...YMMV.

o

Interesting comments above related to MSE. Here's my question......How do you configure MSE to automatically install updates after they are downloaded from Microsoft?

Like azinoh, I find myself checking Windows Updates almost daily for the optional MSE updates that are downloaded by Microsoft 2-3 times per week.

I really appreciate the knowledge that is shared on this site.

o

I would use this program to fully remove your current AV product prior to installing the new one many can leave remnants behind which cause conflicts.

Using AppRemover
that way no need to mess with the registry it removes all of that for you safely.

o

MSE is programmed to automatically update. No manual setting's necessary. Occasionally, if you run a check you may find an update that hasn't loaded, but that's a timing issue with MS. Not your system.

Anne

o

@ anne ct: Thanks for the response. Do you know what is the time frame within which MSE is programmed to automatically update after being downloaded?

o

When you download MSE the first time, if it isn't already up-to-date...it will update itself then. After the initial installation, it will, as a rule, automatically update twice a day...once in the morning...and once in the early evening. I can't provide an exact clock time as it may differ depending on your time zone. When I log on first thing in the morning, I generally force an update. After that, it updates automatically around early evening...after 5:00 PM. Of course, you can force an update any time if it will give you a more secure feeling. If it's a hazardous virtual weather day...I update at will depending upon the internet climate.

HTH

Anne

o

Ok, Anne, thank you for your helpful and informative response.

o

If you use ccleaner ... uncheck under the tab applications/utilities for Windows Defender.

Otherwise MSE will drive you crazy saying its out of date, everytime you run ccleaner.

o

Mikie that was a good suggestion about unchecking Windows Defender ... I had to B4 always go back and do a scan to get MSE right again ... so thanks again!!! your spot on.

o

For anyone who might have a concern/question as to the efficiency of MSE the link below presents a report on VB's findings.

I have always found VB to be reliable as they have no self-interest in the results.

Remember, no application is certifiable as perfect.

As always I recommend members register at the site. Cat_Ky recommended it to me years back, and it has been a mainstay on my systems ever since.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Virus Bulletin

o

FWIW, in my case, I downloaded MSE and used it once early last year sometime. Whereas my Avira AV does scans in about 45 min. or less, MSE took over 3 hours !! Since I don't leave my computer on overnight (to allow it to "scan while you sleep"), and since I had been happy with Avira before trying MSE, I decided to stick with what was working for me. (And happily Avira scored very well according to the site DA linked to above.) :-)

o

Microsoft Security Essentials has a setting in the rear that helps somewhat for faster scans.. I set mine to limit use to 100% of cpu ... default, if I recall right, was 30%.

MSE no matter what the cpu % is set .. seems to always give other programs 1st priority, and sits & waits for the cpu to be unbusy for its little fun fast time slices.
Thats probably why it seems to take so long to finish an update or scan. The newer version seems to update fractionally much smaller definition downloads. Which is nice when you push a manual scan!

o

I'm confused by this. Can it be used on XP machines? Do you still need an AV?

I have avast, spywareblaster, malwarebytes, superantispyware. Does MSE replace all?

Thanks,
Jane

o

Microsoft Security Essentials replaces your Avast.
You will need to first uninstall Avast & then you should use the Avast removal tool to clean up all settings the uninstall forgets.

Download the Microsoft Security Essentials before you do this. So you can have it ready to install asap after your clean up.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.microsoft.com/security

o

MSE is not the panacea for detection, protection and removal. It is a respected application which does serve those purposes. However, a user should still maintain tiered protection by continuing to have other quality applications such as SAS and Malwarebytes available.

Nothing is full proof.

DA

o

Works XP SP3
sp3 , is required.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here