Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raven- need asus 7f 300 help please

Posted by jellybean45 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 11:23

I posted this on the other long thread about this tablet but I hoped you would see a new thread sooner.I hope you don't mind me calling you out. Ok I got my tablet on Thursday and I have not been able to get online with it. I seem to have set it up to my Wifi but when I try to go online it will not connect. I hope you can help me with this. thanks jellybean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raven- need asus 7f 300 help please

jellybean-
More details would help. When you set it up, does that mean that you entered your router key? And does it now show in the settings for the tablet that the wifi name is listed and connected?

o

when you go into the settings on the tablet under network connections and wifi, does it show the wifi as turned on? Does it list your router name in the list and show it is connected to it there? Did you enter the correct pass phrase for your routers network into the tablet?
If all of that is done then it must be your actual connection, on the tablet at the bottom where it shows the wifi connection as the curved bars is that blue or is it gray? It will be blue if you are actually connected to the internet it will be gray if you are only connected to your router.

If it is gray then you need to go to your modem and router and unplug both of them. leave it be for a few minutes, then plug in the modem first let it fully light up then plug in the router let it get fully lit up. Now try it again, sometimes when the modem changes the tablet does not get it and you have to reset it all so that they are basically on the same page.
Report back on if any of that helped.

o

Thank you ladies for getting back to me.The wifi connection bars are gray altho it says connected.Raven I did like you said and unpluged the modem and the router but my bars are still gray.

o

do you have other Wi-Fi devices that are connected and working on your network?

What about the other questions I asked did you go into the settings and check it?

Are you near your wireless router, try getting near it.

Is your modem showing a good solid connection?.
what is your connection type, cable, dsl?

o

I have a laptop . I have cable internet. I am right by my router. When I look in settings signal strength is excellent.. As far as my modem it seems to working fine my laptop works and all the lights are lit properly.

o

Ihad to reset the router to correct the very same problem.

o

Walnut creek I take it when you reset your router it fixed your problem? I have not had that good fortune. I really don't know what to do next.

o

Yes I had already suggested the unplugging from the power the modem and router and re power up that usually always fixes mine when it does that.
You may have to do a factory reset that will often fix it and if you just got it that may be the best thing to try before you add a bunch of stuff to it.
Here is the master help guide if you look down through the list it says how to perform a factory reset. that is what you should try.
Has your tablet already done the update to jellybean Android?
you can find the version number of android in the settings about the tablet.

When you look at the bars on the tablet that are gray is there a little microphone looking thing in the center that blinks off and on?
And you are sure you got the right passcode in the tablet for the wifi network?

o

Raven I don't know how to thank you the factory reset worked. Now please explain to me about the jellybean up date. That's weird because that's my user name LOL

o

Raven the version number is 4.o.3 is that jellybean or do I need to do some to get it?

o

Your tablet will probably do an update automatically. If not, you can choose Update and get the latest. My Nexus 7 has version 4.2.2, which, I believe, is the latest Android update.

o

I am so sorry I didn't put the link to the guide, I swear my memory is going down hill lol
You do need to get the update to 4.1 it should do it automatically and pop up to ask you to update, that version is called jellybean yep just like your name.
You can go into settings about and at the top you can click to have it search for the update. Be sure you are fully charged or have it plugged in when doing version updates don't want to go dead during it.

I am very happy you got it connected.

o

in case anyone needs that master guide here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: master help guide

o

I'm sorry Raven I went to settings and I don't see where to search for an update. Thanks again

o

ok click on the settings icon then on that list scroll all the way to the bottom and select about tablet in the new list the one at the very typ is system firmware update select that and allow to search.
Oh wow glad you asked because I just went and did that to mine and it had an update it is now doing.
My version of Android is 4.1.1
this may be an update to 4.2 I don't know yet/

o

I just did that, will it show anything going on on the screen or should I just let it alone?

o

when you click on it, it will either say no updates after it scanned to see, or it will say there is an update check notifications. That's what mine just said, then go down to the notifications down in the bottom right of the screen, tap to open notifications, scroll down to where it shows the update downloading, when it is done downloading it will say click to install, then leave it alone as you watch it progress, it will show the Android man and progress bar, then it goes through a few more progress screens depending on the update. Then it will reboot and when you open to home screen it tells you the install was successful and the info about the update.

The one I just got was a pretty major large update but was not a new Android version it was an Asus system update apparently.

If you still don't have 4.1.1 keep doing that check daily if for some reason it doesn't find your update for jellybean you may have to go get it manually from the Asus site.

o

ok I have been looking for what this new update did, I found out that Asus is starting to send out the Android 4.2.2 update starting in March. So this may be to prepare me for that update. It's really nice that Asus is keeping those updates coming. Many of my others have not had updates. Really loving this Asus.

Here is a link that might be useful: info on update

o

When I did the update it said I have no new updates. I want to thank you for all your help. I am so happy to have it working. I am typing on my tablet now.The next thing I need to do is to get an sd card and figure out what I use it for. I guess you can tell I'm new to all this and I'm not getting any younger. Thank you again. Jellybean

o

ok just keep trying it every day and if after a week it has not picked up your Android update you will probably need to just go ahead and get it manually from the asus site and put it on the sd card it will see it and install it, just let me know and I can dig up those directions but come to think of it I think they are also in the master guide.

o

Raven l just tried the update again and got 4.2.1 Also update that is jop40d.us-epad-10.6.1.8-20130225 l have no idea what that means. Every thing seems to have changed on the tablet.

o

Raven l just tried the update again and got 4.2.1 Also update that is jop40d.us-epad-10.6.1.8-20130225 l have no idea what that means. Every thing seems to have changed on the tablet.

o

jellybean- the technical name for your update is the longer one...you don't have two different updates. By the way, you can find stuff like this easily by Googling it, which can be faster than waiting for an answer here.

o

that is great news in fact you are the first person I know of that got the 4.2 update. In fact the other update you got is also a newer one than I got! Hopefully they are now rolling those out to all the 300's.
You should be good to go now. Just check occasionally to see if you have any updates but usually it will pop it up on your screen to let you know.
Hollar if you need help with anything else.

o

Thanks Raven for all your help. I still did not get out to get my sd card. I think I will be enjoying my tablet.

o

well I just got my update on mine too.

If you prefer the lancher you had you can switch between them. Go to settings, go to launcher, click, you have the option to use the 4.1 launcher or the 4.2 launcher. If you had set up apps on your launcher if you use the new launcher you will have to put your apps on it as you would like.

I had all of my homepages on my launcher set up with my apps so if I decide to go with the new launcher I will have to redo it. I will try it first.

o

Been playing around with the new 4.2 launcher and I like it pretty much. I like having the notifications and info at the top instead of the bottom. All my other devices have them at the top. Everything seems to be working fine.

Trying out the new keyboard for android it's a bit different. I am not sure if it is better.
I don't use it anyway so can't comment much on that.

All in all good update your experience.

o

I've been playing with the the 4.2 myself I thik I'm going to like it the keyboard seems to be easier to use i think. I want ask you what app do you use to watch movies? I made enough typos on a keyboard I said I thought I liked better :-) oh well

o

I've been playing with the the 4.2 myself I thik I'm going to like it the keyboard seems to be easier to use i think. I want ask you what app do you use to watch movies? I made enough typos on a keyboard I said I thought I liked better :-) oh well

o

Sorry about the the double post. I don't know how I did that, darn keyboard.lol

o

MX Player for media player, it will play most anything.

o

Raven thank you for recomending MX player I will give it a try. Thanks again for everything.

o

jellybean45 (My Page) on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 20:37
Thanks Raven for all your help. I still did not get out to get my sd card.

What card are you planning on buying?
I bought a SanDisk SDXC which works FINE in my Tablet but will not show up on my computer.
I used the SanDisk microSD/TransFlash from out of my old cell phone and it works on BOTH the Tab & Computer fine.
I took some screen shots on my tab to put into my computer to print out.

o

Thanks urlee I will not get out to get a card beforeThursday but I will look for transflash

o

The newer cards will sometimes not work in older hardware, which is probably the reason urlee's will not work on her computer. My camera is older, and I cannot use the newer, faster cards in it.

o

jellybean,
Thanks urlee I will not get out to get a card beforeThursday but I will look for transflash

I didn't mean for you to buy a transflash. I just used that as an example and for you to be sure you get a card you want that will work for what you want it for.
I am going to search for another card with more memory to get that will work for both and wonder if labeled "Mobile" is the trick? Back to the "reading board" unless someone here knows the "secret".

I started on my hunt and here is an example to watch for? Mine looks like the tiny black one.

Here is a link that might be useful: example

This post was edited by urlee on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 5:58

o

Here is a good place to start searching?

When I put the Card I bought for the Tablet into my computer directly, a notice popped up about formatting it but I didn't for fear I would screw it up to not work in the Tablet again cause that card was warned against formatting it as stated here where I ordered it from.

Reformat into file system other than exFAT may cause instability
Only compatible with SDXC enabled device in exFAT format per SD Standard
Highest Full HD video recording performance available with class 10 rating
Ideal for Android, other smartphones and tablets
UHS-1 enabled
Faster app performance with transfer speeds up to 30MB/s
Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
Water-proof, temperature proof, X-ray proof, shock proof

Here is a link that might be useful: cards

o

jellybean,
I didn't mean to confuse you here.

If you want to use it only in your tablet, then you could order something like the SDXC or such as I did.

I was referring to one that works in my Windows XP desktop too so I can print out what I put on the Tablet card.

o

Good news so far, The USB reader I ordered came today and it works great with the card I bought for my Tablet with my Win7 Laptop.
I have yet to try it with my WinXP desktop with the SDXC card.

Photobucket

o

Hey there! Looks as if you have been really busy getting apps for your tablet. I don't have that many on mine as yet. I keep asking myself the question, "Will I really use that?" If I think not, I usually don't get it. These apps use lots of bandwidth just keeping themselves updated, and I don't have that to spare.

o

Grandms,
Those came with the Tablet. I haven't learned the App getting yet or tried those out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here