Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with IMAC attachments

Posted by abbey_cny (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 11:22

I recently got my first mac computer, and am loving it, but I am running into a problem when I try to send an attachment to anyone. They cannot be opened. I have IWORK on the computer, which I thought was supposed to convert the attachments so I could read anything sent from a PC and vice versa. I was originally unable to read any attachment sent from a PC until I added IWORK, and now I can, so I know it is working for stuff I receive, but it doesn't seem to be working the other way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Abbey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with IMAC attachments

It would be helpful perhaps if we knew the 3 digit extension on the file name. Or is this for more than one kind of file?

If you were sending a .jpg image there would/should be no problem but if you are sending with a Mac specific extension then PC users would not likely be able to open the attachments.

I am not a Mac user but am trying to assist my sister who has bought an iPad2 having never owned a computer before so the going is tough.

o

Hi owbist, I am sorry but I don't know the extension it was saved under. When I pull it up in my documents it just shows the title of the form, and not the file name. How would I find the file name? That certainly may be the problem if it is automatically saved with an mac specific extension. I will try and figure out what the file extension is but it anyone has any suggestions on how to find it I would appreciate it. Thanks!

o
RE: problem with IMAC attachments - further info

I have some further info which I hope will be helpful. I tried saving the document with a ".doc" extension, and I got an error message saying I had to use ".pages" extension. The pages is apparently part of the Iwork program. So is there any way for me to change the extension name to something that is PC friendly that will still allow me to save it in my mac?
Thanks once again.'

Abbey

o

You might try to save the document as an RTF (rich text format) file. This way any word processing program should be able to open it. Failing that use .txt but that is quite primitive really.

Never really understood why RTF is not used more making cross platform acceptance so much easier. All to do with money no doubt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here