Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to get a plain folder in W7

Posted by shaddy101 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 10:49

This W7 is driving me nuts, I want a plain ordinary folder to send to someone else, and everytime I open a "new folder", I get one with what I consider pertinent info along the left side.
I have a screen shot of it, but am unable to post it here, don't get that, and never have, but I digress.
I want just a plain tan color folder, whether or not it is flat like XP, or on the side like W7 is not important to me, just want without the sidebar of Documents, Libraries, and pictures, etc., written along side. That has nothing to do with what is in my folder, and don't like having that info out there on the web anyway.
Have googled and lingo is not understandable to me, so am coming to the gurus here for help, please tell me I don't have to keep this sort of thing? Is there any info you need?
Have a wonderful Easter holiday, sunshine is weak today. Spring is coming hopefully! Thanks to anyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to get a plain folder in W7

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Plus, it doesn't help that I am sitting here at my Vista system rather than the W7 at work.

Would this help?

Open up your Documents folder. Then File>New Folder>Name accordingly>Click on any blank area. You will now have a new folder ready to drag and drop into any documents you wish for storage or e-mail.

DA

o

If I understand you right, you open a folder and it has information on the left hand side and you want it removed. You can close this, I keep mine closed all the time. To close it right click on organize at the top, then layout. The option to close it will be in there.

o

I tried to duplicate what you wrote without success (using Vista & Thunderbird). When I tried, TB was willing to attach the files in a specific folder to an outgoing mail...but it was not willing to attach the "folder". If sending multiple files is what you are trying to accomplish, you can attach them individually to the email or put them all together in a .zip file if need be. Maybe I'm just dense, but the idea of sending a "folder" doesn't make any sense to me. To me, a folder is something the user can create at will on the computer (or delete it)...but I don't see the need to "send" one.

o

I think Shaddy is referring to Windows explorer. Shaddy look at the image below where I have joined 2 windows explorer views (because I am not sure I get get 2 pics in one post). Are you seeing either what is above or below the black line?

If so that is your Windows Explorer and has nothing to do with being on the internet. These are 2 views of my 'file cabinet', you can use either view by clicking up in the top right corner once Windows Explorer is opened. Open it by right clicking on Start then click Explore, this works for all varieties of Windows. On Win 7 there is a folder near the Start button to do the same thing.

o

owbist, I believe you have the right idea, will try what you suggest and let you know. I am beside myself with this machine now, so confusing, seemed to me XP was a breeze to operate compared to this, until I got a little frisky sometimes!
Emma, will try your suggestion too, just need to unwind somewhat, this is just too much sometimes.
DA, always love your answers, but this is what I am doing, your suggestion, and I still get the "stuff" on the left side, so off to try these other suggestions, and if no luck, will be back! Promise promises. Thank you all for your time today!

o

Shaddy, what is your concern with the items in the left hand panel? And how does this tie into sending files. I'm a bit confused. As azinoh mentioned, you can't email a 'folder'....only 'files'. I have Win7 also....it did take some getting use to..
Jean

This post was edited by jean_mi_z5 on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 17:10

o

A point so things are clear. File and folder are two different designations and not interchangeable. A Folder is root storage which holds files.

For example in documents: The Document folder holds published .doc files.

DA

o

Didn't want to advertise everything on the internet about what I am doing, got the job done, Emma read me loud and clear, did some clicking, and things are great now, just have to remember what she said. I like it simple, and understand the files, folders thing, is good now, and do so appreciate your assist from everyone, you as always are the best. My computer book will need to be up dated with W7 things rather than XP stuff, but it will be a process for sure. I hope W7 lasts me the rest of my life, and I never have to move to any new program again!!!!!!

o

Thanks Shaddy. When I got my first PC my sis said to keep a notebook and pen on my desk and keep notes. I haven't had to do that in years, but now I need to start doing it again.

o

shaddy-
The info displayed on your machine will not "advertise everything on the internet about what I am doing." Do you understand that the information that was displayed that you were worried about has nothing to do with Internet Explorer, or whatever browser you are using?

o

kudzu, not really, I saw the info on the left, and was documents, pictures, library, etc. thought maybe someone else could open the folders there. Not familiar with W7, whole new ball game, and have much to learn, the simple things were just that, now, this learning process doesn't seem so simple, but imagine, after a few months, I will look back and chuckle, hope so.

o

shaddy-
The info you saw displayed was for your info, and unrelated to whatever it was you are sending someone on the internet. The only way other people could see that info was if they were sitting at your computer.

o

Well, why isn't that told in the beginning kudzu, sure woulda saved me a lot of frustration. A lot of this new stuff is so hidden now, can't find much without clicking, and then never sure if it is right anyway. Why can't it just remain simple?
Emma, I have my notebook from the beginning, and sometimes things don't apply, but I can darn well get a general idea from those early postings, and help.
Thanks to all for help.

o

It is fairly simple...once you understand it all! It used to be that you had to type in DOS commands and couldn't click on anything on the screen: that was simple, but not very much fun.

It sounds like you are trying to teach yourself to do things by clicking and guessing, and by assuming it will be the same as previous. You can do that, but in my experience you never know what you don't know, and you waste a lot of time. For example, how much time have you spent on this one issue? My suggestion is -- and don't be insulted -- that you need to buy yourself the book "Windows 7 for Dummies." The Dummies series are very helpful books (I've used them myself) that walk you step-by-step through how to make things work. The version that I've linked to below even comes with a DVD that gives you a couple of hours of hands-on instruction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows 7 for Dummies

o

I like K9"s suggestion.

I also refer you to the W8 on-board Help file. Though I haven't seen it I anticipate it is quite similar to prior releases. It will have offerings such as, or similar to, "User Guides, "Getting Started" and "Learning Center". Also, browsing around the listed offerings will familiarize yourself with the topics available, and proper terminology. An occasional visit to the file can help users of all levels.

Feel free to click anywhere you wish while in the Help file. You cannot harm anything.

DA

o

Guess I really should get myself one of those "Dummies" books for Win 7. I have had it for over 2 years now, and still don't know my way around because I keep using my old XP for most things. Did finally get the Live Mail working to my satisfaction, but other than doing the monthly MS updates, I hardly use that comp. We're moving the end of the month, so once we're settled in our new digs, I'm going to make a point of using the Win. 7 for most internet stuff, and I'll reserve the XP for digitizing all my LPs and tapes and such things.

Also have tablets to get up and really running, and have put that off because of lack of adequate broadband in my present home. Shouldn't have that problem once we get moved and I have my network set up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here