Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is Freecycle a dead site?? I get emails but can't log in..

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 10:38

I have always had problems with Freecycle, so much that I don't think I have ever been able to log in. I got an email today looking for mods, so I assume it is still in existance. It reminded me of another source (I am looking for an odd item), where I could post.
I confirmed my user name, got a new password generated by them because mine wasn't working. That does not work either. I have made sure I did everything correctly as I am a genuine airhead, I think...no, I'm sure...
Anyway, I have never been able to get on to Freecycle.
Aby ideas- besides contacting mod, which I have, and never get a response.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is Freecycle a dead site?? I get emails but can't log in..

Freecycle groups are local. Our local group is going strong.

If your local group is looking for moderators, maybe that's why you don't get a response. A couple of years ago, two local groups merged into one larger one with pretty steady traffic. You might try the national website and look for your location. Perhaps your local group merged with another one?

Can't help with software, tho.

o

the one in our area is very strong, my cleaning lady is a freecycle addict I swear! Amazing the things she gets free from there but she gives away a lot too. I always give her my stuff so she can freecycle it.

you might try clearing the cache in your browser that may be what is creating your problem. just google clear cache in IE or clear cache in firefox etc to find directions should you need them or let us know which you use.

o

My local freecycle on yahoo is going strong too and no problems. Have you tried logging in from a different browser just to see what happens? Mary!

o

I have always had problems with Freecycle,
I suspect the problem is actually with the Freecycle you are trying to sign up with. I suggest you try another Freecycle or two to see if you can get signed up OK.

Besides the one 'local' one, I signed up with 3 or 4 others that are in the area (small towns) about 30-60 minutes away. Once you get signed up, you can get 'every' post emailed to you, or a daily digest of posts, or nothing at all. I just set my local one to send me a daily digest of the posts and opted to get nothing via email from the others.

Sue

o
RE: hmmm....is Freecycle a dead site?? I get emails but can't log

Well I just went to one of the non-local ones I belong to and see I am not able to post, though it shows I am signed up with them...I'll have to check that out later. Maybe they deactivate deadbeat members (me) after so long.

Sue

o

You can check here using either zip code or neighboring towns to see if there actually is a group there.

Our local one left the national group in a snit over policy a few years ago. Changed the name to Rochester Reuseit and I think we had to re-register.

Just checked the link below and Freecycle is back, so now they are both here--divided.

Here is a link that might be useful: freecycle

o

I've used Freecycle quite a few times, but only sporadically, when I have something to donate. There are four Freecycle groups that are local to me (I live in a big metro area), and I have used all of them in the past. However, I haven't used any of them for over a year, and when I just visited them, it looked like I only had the option to "Join this Group.". Bottomline: I think if you don't stay fairly active, like checking in every 30 days or so, you get dropped, and have to rejoin.

o

some locals moved to freecycle.org.
or tried to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here