Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Monitor

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 10:38

I have a fairly new monitor which I am very pleased with. A couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden it started "closing" the screen if I did not do anything for a bit over 60 seconds (have timed it). What I mean by closes is that the screen goes dark, it does not shut down. This is very annoying, especially if I am reading a document or messages on this board. I am wondering if one of the updates caused this. I have checked the power display settings and everything else I can think of and none of them have changed. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Monitor

Are you sure this is not the computer going into snooze mode? If you fail to move the mouse for a given (user definable) amount of time the computer snoozes to conserve energy.

Note the coloured LED on or around the power button on the monitor. Now does it change colour when the screen goes dark? This indicates snoozing but if there is no change then it might be something different.

Make and model? Windows version?

o

do you have your screen saver set to none and have it set on a short time period if so it will cause the monitor to go black, try changing your screen saver to a different one that shows something on it so you can tell if it is indeed going to sleep or if it is the screen saver becoming active.
If you need help finding your screen saver options let us know which version of windows you have.

o

I can set mine to do that. It's a power saving feature.
Start>>Control Panel>>Power Options.
You can set it for how long you want, or set it to never.
I put a shortcut on the desktop to make it shut off.

Pooh Bear

o

You would think I would have learned to include all of the vital info by now; I do apologize for not providing that. Raven was correct. The secreensaver is set to "blank." Director below that is "Wait" with a box with an up and down arrow to set the minutes; it was set at 1 minute. I changed that to 15 minutes, so the screen is not blanking out not.

As usual, you all are just great.

o

Excellent! I use Avast and so I set my screen saver to the Avast scan so that any time it is inactive it starts scanning, stops when you move the mouse, starts where it left off the next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here