Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo, Etc., Scanner

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 10:34

I have tons of old photos, slides, and 35mm film I would like to scan. I have looked at scanners and reviews, as well as looked at comments on this forum (could find only a bit older info). Some of this media has spots and wrinkles that I would like to erase as much as possible. Therefore, I decided to come to the people who already use this technology and ask what do you use and what do you like about what you use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo, Etc., Scanner

You really have 2 separate issues here. You have the scanning which is relatively easy and the photo repair which is more of a challenge but a whole lot of fun if you can become interested.

Defining your "tons of photos etc" and what you want for a finished quality will determine the amount you are willing to pay for your scanner. When I first started a local company wanted $10 for the first scan and $8 for any others done at that time. Figuring that 6 and 4 are 8 and 2 is twelve I realised I could buy a scanner for the price of a dozen scans from the store. A good investment but in those days scanners were not as good as those around now.

I have an HP4890 that will individually scan as many photos as I can get on the plate and I can adjust the settings for each scan. Great time saver. I also scan quite large files because you can always reduce the size with no degradation but you cannot successfully increase the size after the scan. The larger the file the better it is when you start photo editing, repairing those damaged shots. Anything above 3 megabytes file size worked well for me.

During the scans I never bothered about colour intensity because that got taken care of when I brought them up in Corel PhotoPaint.

o
RE: Photo, Etc., Scanner

I have the Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner, which is an older model, but it has capabilities that I have never explored as yet. It can scan multiple photos, it can scan negatives and slides, and has settings for color enhancements. It can also scan to application, meaning that you can scan a photo and send it to another program for further enhancements such as repairing tears, etc. I don't know what photo/graphics program(s) you may have, but there are some fairly good free ones as well as those made by Adobe and Corel. As I recall, an older version of Adobe Photo Elements (CD) came with my scanner. So I would suggest that you shop and compare various scanners. I highly recommend those made by Epson.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here