Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I put a folder in the start menu?

Posted by leftwood (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 10:28

I have a new PC with Windows 7 and want to consolidate the start menu. I want to put all the shortcuts for Windows programs in one folder.

As the administrator, I have not found a way to add a new folder to the Left pain of the start menu.

An option that I can do is add the shortcuts to an existing start menu folder that I don't use. Then, I thought, I could rename the folder. But I haven't been able to rename a start menu folder. I am the administrator, and in fact the dialogue window prompts that it requires administrative permission, then asks if I want to continue. I click "continue", but the task isn't executed, and the name I enter doesn't replace the original.

Is there a solution?

Thanks
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I put a folder in the start menu?

Have you tried:

Right click on the Desktop>New>Folder>drag and drop the new folder onto the START button

DA

o

Not sure I understand what you want, but the one thing I missed from the version before W 7 was the quick launch. I found a solution you might be interested in. I went to my documents and put all of my game short cuts in a folder named games. Then I right clicked on the task bar, then on new tool bar and followed the path to the games folder I made. Now I have another version of the quick launch. I did the same with a folder named tools with the shortcuts I use often.

o

Thanks for your replies.
I had tried dragging a folder from the desktop to the already opened start menu which didn't work. But it never occurred to me to drag it to the start button!

Yes, that works. It puts the folder in the left pane of the start menu, but not with the "All Programs". I'm good with that.
Thank you!

Emma, your idea is a different, but useful method, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here