Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raven help with internet connection please!

Posted by casi (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 10:19

Hey there...problem this morning. I could not connect to the internnet this morning. I called my internet service and the tech detected that I was not connecting; we did a reboot but I still could not connect to IE. It just kept trying to connect but nothing happened. He says that is usually a PC issue....that there is too much Ram, etc. I did connect with hubby's laptop and also was able to connect with my Nexus 7. I am on my PC using Google Chrome as my browser. What do you think I should do now. I am worried about my Ram space. This is a HP PC. I have a Trendnet router. What else do I need to tell you? Thanks as always!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raven help with internet connection please!

One of the first things to try is reinstall the network adapter from device manger, right click on it and choose uninstall, then reboot the computer.

You could also try connecting in safe mode with networking to see if the computer connects there, if the computer connects there but not in regular mode it usually indicates a firewall or Anti Virus program is causing some issue.

If this is a wireless connection try connecting a cable directly to the computer.

Try turning your router off for a min by un plugging it, then replugging it back in.

Try clearing the dns settings as shown below.

Copy and paste the text between the stars below into Notepad.
@Echo off
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0[/code]

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Note: For Windows Vista or Windows 7,right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator"

So quite a few things tor try,

o

Zep, appreciate the comeback, but are you not trying to correct a router issue with your suggestion? If I am able to connect the pc via Chrome, wouldn't the IE work too? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your recommendation.

o

Ok I thought you could not connect at all, but you are connecting just not able to use IE to get to the internet.
Don't worry about having too much ram the problem is usually not enough Ram and that is likely not the problem.
It could be something happened to your IE itself, it could be corrupted.
Have you been doing all your updates on the pc, windows updates as well as java, adobe, flash?
Which version of IE are we working with first of all?
And which version of windows are you using on that pc?

o

I have Windows 7; I think I have IE 8? can't get it now. I think I'm current on all my updates. I ran my Malewarebytes and I had nothing detected. I did ran disc clean up and tried to defrag but it evidently didn't need it. What I meant about the Ram is maybe I've used up my Ram and don't have enough. I don't have Java. I updated Adobe reader today and I have Flash Player 11

o

ok since you mentioned that update problem in the other thread why not go ahead and do a restore point to before that happened and see if it gets it back to normal before you did that.

Then you really need to update to a newer version of IE I would at least go to 9, 10 is out but I don't think it is quite done all the bugs yet.

o

Yahee, I'm fixed! That must have been the problem. I did a restore point prior to the Avast update. Was then able to get to the Avast update download via Internet Explorer (which I do have version 9). When installed and re-started went to the new tab re: software updates, which Grandams mentions in her post about the the new Avast....it pointed out to me that I'd lost my Adobe Reader update in the restore point....and so I got it re-updated as well as the needed update for Chrome. I agree with Grandams...nice feature for Avast. thanks for your help, Zep and Raven!

o

casi in control panel, Internet options, you can find the information on IE

o

great news and good for you, you did it! okay if you have IE9 you are okay.

love the easy ones!

o

"10 is out but I don't think it is quite done all the bugs yet."

All software has bugs. The people at Microsoft involved in making release decisions each know more of ALL the details AND are smarter than all of us put together, then some.

If they say it's ready (by releasing it), then it's ready.

o

well goody for you snidely go on in there and jump on it then feel free>
I however have the right and intelligence to read up on it and make MY OWN decision which is exactly what I have done.

but go on ahead we know you MUST have that last word so just go on I know you can't help it.

LMAO won that bet!

o

Many readers here have limited experience and limited knowledge. I believe responses from the more knowledgeable people should avoid strong, unfounded biases. There's no place for doing that with a beginner level audience, they (like you) may not have the time, interest, or ability to reach their own conclusions.

I don't make it a point to find issues to quibble about, but it does seem you don't like it when people don't share your opinions. I try to present balanced views, keeping in mind that some people may know nothing more than what they've read in this forum.

MS Internet Explorer is reported to be the most widely used browser in governmental and business use. They take that responsibility seriously, because an awful lot of essential stuff relies on it. To suggest that some grandma somewhere should worry about using the latest update to play tic-tac-toe is simply silly.

And no, I don't have to have the last word.

o

ewwwww.....what is going on here!!!

o

What is the proper protocol? If someone addresses a question to a specific person for an answer, is it okay for others to respond?

o

Funny you should mention this, fruitjar, because there's been a bunch of "Hey Fred, Answer This" posts lately.

Some forums limit who can post answers. This one doesn't. In the absence of that, my understanding of netiquette is that threads here are a public conversation that anyone is welcome to contribute to. Topics shouldn't be hijacked (as this diversion does, though it's relevant) and speech should be polite.

Everyone is welcome to have private conversations, that's what email is for. This site allows users to provide email addresses on their so-called "member page". Otherwise, the "Hey Fred" posts are rude because they imply other people's comments are unwelcome and not valued.

I think collaborative answers are always better answers, don't you?

o

snidely-
I was going to put in my two cents on this issue, until I read your post. I think you said it all.

o

'Funny you should mention this, fruitjar, because there's been a bunch of "Hey Fred, Answer This" posts lately'

I have been watching the expansion of this activity along with the creation of multiple threads, a la chatroom, for an on-going matter.

What previously seemed in both cases to be uncommon are now becoming a regular occurrence,

I have wondered how often answers are delayed or not shared at all due to this. There's no way to tell, but once would be too many,

Unlike other places the acceptance of diverting a thread has always been liberal here as long as the original concern has been or is still actively being addressed.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here