Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MS office help

Posted by eandhl (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 9:38

When I bought my HP laptop dv6 the office program they sold me is MS office home and student. I hate it and at this time do not want to pay for another. I did receive an email for an update to Office Suite 2011. It looks like it is free but decided to ask here if anyone did update and if it is worth it. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MS office help

I can't give you the answer to your question. I have always used MS Works and didn't like the change but had to find something. I opted for the one you got. It's different, but I have adjusted to the change. I have converted all of my works documents and it's fine.

o

I had Office Pro in the past and this Home/student is much more confusing. Maybe I just don't like change. One big thing I really miss is "undo" under edit. As I researched more on the 2011 all I can find is for Mac's.

o
RE: oops

I just finally discovered how to undo in this word program.

o

the only office suite I use now is the free Open office it does everything I need and it can open and work with MS office files.

OpenOffice.org

o

I tried it but couldn't find a way to convert my works documents. I should have asked in here, but was trying so hard to do it on my own.

I don't know how old you are but I am 75 and technical change is difficult for me. I read an article about trying to adjust to new technology or you would really be left behind in the future. So I stuck with it and have adjusted to the changes of W 7, WLM and Word. I think an attitude adjustment is the main adjustment seniors have to make in situations like this.

o

For any home user I have to ask, What can there be in Word/Office to "hate"? In a personal estimate, all word processing applications are about 90-95% the same.

V,

"I think an attitude adjustment is the main adjustment seniors have to make in situations like this."

Thank you.

DA

o

My view is that the update is probably unnecessary for you, whether it costs anything or not. Most word processing programs have a huge amount of features and most people do not use most of them for their normal word processing tasks. I doubt that an update would provide any additional functionality that you would need.

o

The Home and Student office is really set up for students doing papers with a ton of stuff the average non student doesn't need - thus it gets confusing compared to the MS office pro I was familiar with. Kudzu I am hoping to find one that isn't loaded with the stuff on H&S. I will look at Open Office.

o

Dave I said it in a friendly way and you.........

o

Ahhh, vala55, what you said is soooo true! Hopefully this 80 year old is flexible enough to be able to "go with the flow"!

BTW, I'm seriously considering getting my first "smart phone."

o

V,

And me......

As you notice I am always polite, and I do admit sometimes I have to bite my fingers(tongue) before typing. I always make every attempt to be complete, straight-forward, truthful and polite. No dancing around, no games, no deception, no misunderstanding as to my thoughts or position. No plagiarizing of material word-for-word as if it is my personal knowledge and input.

I leave all silly stuff to the back channels for others which are commonly referred to as "The Children's Hour".

If you think I might be a little , shall we say, coarse at times you should have been here ten, twelve years ago. You really wouldn't have liked it then.

And in a spirit of openness and fair play, I share I will be 63 in the Fall. So I am not some young whippersnapper computer geek. In 1997 all I could do was turn a system on.

DA

o

I looked at Open Office and it looks like what I am familiar with. If you haven't seen the Office home & student you wouldn't know the difference but believe me it is very different. One more question, would there be any problem downloading Open Office with the H&S still on my computer? Thank you again for advice.

o

no problem at all you may have to choose one as default for opening stuff.

If yours was the trial version of H&S it can be tricky to remove, you might have to use a program like REVO uninstaller which is free. To see what I mean you can google removing Office home and student.

o

revencajun, thank you. I bought the program H&S so if I like the Open Office I shouldn't have a problem uninstalling. For anyone information, H&S doesn't have "file, edit" etc on the top it has "Home, insert, references, mailing". It really is very different.

o

Is Office Home and Student any different than the other versions, other than the lack of application (Outlook, Access, Publisher)? I know Office went through a major redesign for the 2010 version.

o

It was said : For anyone information, H&S doesn't have "file, edit" etc on the top... "

I've had a number of successive H/S versions. Those options have always been at the top.

And it was said '...it has "Home, insert, references, mailing".'

Mine has never had that. Perhaps yours was customized to be set up as it is?

o

Mine is the 2007 version and I did hear they made changes to next one that made it like the usual Word. I did go back and ask and the only thing they suggested was buy a newer version.

o

I don't have any idea what you're seeing but I have MS Office 2007 Professional on one computer and MS Office 2007 Home and Student on two others. There is no difference between the versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in the two versions. I only have the professional because I needed Publisher for a newsletter that I do.

o

bob414 are you saying the set up in word has tabs i.e. "edit"? If you are can you tell me how you set it up? TIA

o

What I'm saying is that MS Office Home and Student is not more confusing that Office pro or the other versions. All of them have the same versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Microsoft went to their 'ribbon' format in Office 2007. It is different and there was a lot of complaining at the time, but it's in all versions of office, not just Home and Student. For some help in adapting to the changes you may want to check out this tutorial.

o

In the first sentence above I should have ended it with: the other versions of Office 2007.

o

Well mine is certainly different. I talked to the staff at Staples and Best Buy and was told due to all the complaints MS made word like the "normal" program in the newer programs. I loaded the program and did nothing custom.

o

Did you look at the second page of the tutorial? If not, click on this link. If that is not what yours looks like something has been changed on it. If yours does look like that I don't think upgrading to 2010 will help. I don't have Office 2010 but it uses the same ribbon as far as I can see.

o

Thank you. Reading the tutorial has been helpful. I will bookmark the page for further help. Yes, that is what mine looks like. I guess I don't like change.

o

Good for you grandms.

It took me awhile, but I have figured out Word and Windows Live Mail, I use the quick access bar. I like it as well as works. In Word I put the quick access bar below the ribbon, then right click on every thing I work with like font style, size, etc., then on "add to quick access bar. The first photo is of the way word is set up. The second one is using the quick access bar.After you get it set up you minimize the ribbon. That was trial and error with me.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I have Office 07 and despise it. I have Office 03 on my office computer and will drive in to the office on weekends or at night to write a letter. I only use 07 if I know I won't have to make any changes or mistakes. Office 03 is basically the same old word processing from the early versions. They completely changed everything around in the 07 version.

I had letters to write today and spent my Saturday in my office to do them. What I also do is compose letters on Google Docs (which is easy) and download them to Word.

Sorry for my rant, but I just hate what Microsoft did to Office 07.

BTW, this is how my screen appears on 07.
Photobucket

For whatever reason it keeps double-spacing. I have it set to single but it keeps double spacing. I sooo hate this program!

Sorry for the rant...
Jane

o

I have Office 2010 Starter on my new computer. Exactly like Jane's image. I downloaded powerpoint viewer (free) so I could view incoming emails. The newer versions of photo image programs on here (Windows) is just as confusing.

Checking out that tutorial to see if/how to hide some of those things I seldom use.

o

Here's info from MS re how to change the normal document template for Word 2003.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/change-the-normal-template-normal-dot-HP001121028.aspx

Don't know if it will work for 2007 or 2010.

Here is a link that might be useful: Create a 2003 document template to suit you

o
RE: MS office help - for 2007 & 2010

And here's a knowledge base info from Univ of Indiana

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahtk.html

Here is a link that might be useful: help for Word 2007 & 2010

o
RE: MS office help - use Word help

Another method to obtain help is to use MS Word Help.

To access it,
- click the "?" inside the small blue circle at the far upper right.
- Type your search word or phrase in the text box at the top (I've found that it's best to use only one or 2 words.) To change line spacing between paragraphs, use "paragraph" (omit quotes)
Hit Enter Key
The first result is "Adjust line spacing between text or paragraphs"
On each new page, click the link that describes what you want to do.
-

All in all, you can be more comfy w/Word after you customize it as suits your preferred habits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here