Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I-pad mini seems locked up.

Posted by chas045 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 9:27

My wife has a new I-pad mini (xmas) that was working fine. Well, actually we did seem to be having some trouble making it work in some places with wi fi, but could not connect even though it said it was. Perhaps that has caused the current problem. In the past, we have left it plugged in to recharge and backup on occasion. However, I guess it has been just sitting for awhile. We have a fast connection with wi-fi at home.

I can power it down and up with the main power button and the reset or main screen (or whatever it is called) will bring up seri which can search the web, but no touch screen things work except for the warning message which is always on. It says: iCloud Backup: this Ipad hasn't been backed up for 2 weeks. backups happen when it is plugged in, locked and connected to wi-fi. Until just now, that screen would stay on for a long time, but it has just gone to turning itself off after 10 seconds or so. Therefore hard to copy exact text.

Sometimes, the wife's last web visit is behind the message, sometimes nothing. Just now I got the third page of the startup page of icons. None of these backgrounds are active. I can't close the screen with a 5 finger action. The message will blink when pressed but remain and no other touch screen action will respond at all.

Any ideas?

Last night, I left it plugged in and apparently locked, because when I turn it on, it has the slider saying to unlock visible. It won't respond to the unlock motion slide. Actually, it appeared to be off when I left it, but when I unplugged it and opened the apple magnetic cover this morning, it came up with the wife's last search behind the message.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I-pad mini seems locked up.

I probably just solved my own problem. I searched on
'How to reset a hung Ipad' and found the link below. It WAS probably hung since the first technique didn't work. The second was a full reboot done by holding the power button and the 'home' button until the Apple Logo appears.

I have now set it to hopefully backup.

Here is a link that might be useful: resetting routines

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here