SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

using XP computers after April - Are there viable options?

lynnalexandra
10 years ago

I have a Dell inspiron 530 desktop (with XP) that is working just great for me. Here are specs:

Intel core 2 quad
q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
3GB RAM

I hate to replace it now for two reasons. It has a lot of set ups that took time (sometimes paid help and program set up I could not duplicate myself) and it functions well for everything I use it for. This is also a bear of spring for me, so a new computer and all the transferring and set up is something I can't imagine squeezing into the next 3 months.
When I ran compatibility check on this computer to see if it could support Windows 7, it can. BUT - the upgrades required would probably be more money than it's worth. Eventually - perhaps in a year or so - it would be time to upgrade to a faster system anyway.

Someone posted this on my neighborhood listserv about continuing with XP computers. I wonder what people here think.

"After April 8, Microsoft will no longer offer service packs, security updates or hotfixes for Windows XP. However, the company will provide updates for its anti-malware apps until July 14, 2015.

For non-commericial, home desktop users, the updates apply only to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). However, MSE must already be installed on the desktop because, come April, it will no longer be available for download.

If you're a fan of Microsoft security products, these updates offer at least some support going forward. But many organizations prefer more robust anti-malware solutions from third-party vendors. Fortunately, a number of these vendors -- including Avast, Sophos, ESET and Trend Micro -- will continue to support Windows XP into the foreseeable future, and as long as they do, you have an important layer of protection."

----------------------------------------------
I use Avast on this computer. (I do use microsoft security essentials on my work laptop bc. Avast was causing a BSOD - troubleshooted last fall). I also use superantispyware, malwarebytes and spyware blaster (and run ccleaner regularly).

If I want to continue using this pc, should I keep Avast or switch to Microsoft essentials now?

Anything else I should add or do?

I don't think I want to try something like linux now for the same reason I don't want to switch computers. Not much time this spring to learns something new - and I'm relying on several programs that are compatible with XP and running for me now.

Thank you for any feedback.
Lynn.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations