Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laptop mouse slow to move

Posted by gogwmos (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 8:48

When I first start up it is fine, but after a few hours it slows down to the point I can't make it to the shut-down mode.

When I do shut it down and restart it works fine, but this is getting annoying! It is a Dell Latitude D5 with XP and Firefox running.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laptop mouse slow to move

What is the make and model of the mouse itself?

o

Sorry Owbist, I should have been more clear. This is a laptop so I move the cursor with my finger.

Would it be better to buy a wired mouse?

o

I just went and found an old corded mouse and it works great. Still, If you have an answer I would love to hear it!

Thanks!

o

Just curious, are you using this laptop on your lap or a desk..if on your lap or another soft surface, you could be causing heat issues because you may be blocking the fan vents on the bottom/sides..What you are refering to is called the touchpad, not a mouse...

o

I am going to go out on a limb here and believe we are talking about the screen pointer. That is called a cursor.

I like Gene's heat thought.

Also, quite often a slow responding "mouse" is a result of lack of system resources. It could be the same here with your laptop's "cursor". In both cases as multi-tasking activities amass perhaps the system can't keep up. A reboot then creates a reset and everything starts over fresh.

You might want to take a look in the startup as to what is running,

DA

o

Download the touch-pad driver from the dell site and install it or install it from the driver CD you got.
If already installed than select repair at the time of re-installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here