Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wireless Router Recommendations

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 8:20

Comcast tech replaced our modem and indicated that our Belkin router is likely causing some of our problems. The router is old and he suggested getting a new wireless router. We have two computers (one MAC and one PC) in the same room and all we use them for is email and surfing the net. He said Linksy, Cisco and NetGear are all good brands.

I went to Best Buy to check on what they had and the ones the salesperson recommended have terrible reviews on line.

I'd be grateful for any advice/help from you folks as I've never been steered wrong.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wireless Router Recommendations

I had a Cisco router that never would work right with all of our Apple devices. I updated firmware, and that still didn't help. Had to power cycle it all the time to get everything working.

Finally gave up and bought a Belkin and everything works great. Belkin N450. Got it at WalMart for $50.

o

I agree wuith iowagirl regarding Cisco router - we had one that was absolutely worthless. Love the Netgear WNDR 3400 - works with the MacBook Pro, a Windows XP netbook, and a desktop Windows 7 pc.

o

I have used Linksys, Netgear and Dlink with good results.

As you appear to have nothing wireless now I would urge you to make sure it is an 'n' designation which is the most current I believe. Don't let them talk you into a 'g' because it might be cheaper. That way you are prepared when you decide to go with anything that needs a wi-fi connection.

o

I've used various models of Linksys and Belkin over the years and both have been fine. If you get one from Costco, return will be easy if you have a problem. Alternatively, just go with something on Amazon that gets mainly positive reviews.

o

I added a Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router 7 months ago, the first router I've ever had. The installation was unbelievably easy.

It's probably available in your local stores at $50-55, or you can get it from Amazon for $30. There are over 1000 reviews of it on Amazon, a large majority of them positive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linksys router

o

Thanks all. I really appreciate your input.

I'm leaning towards the Belkin N600 Wireless Dual Band router. I currently own a Belkin and have never had any trouble with it, so figure I'll stick with what I'm happy with.

The downside is all of the reviews without fail mention how bad tech support is no matter what brand you get. I wonder when companies are going to wise up and realize that is one reason folks don't buy their equipment.

o

I thought Comcast gave you a router when you go with them ...???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here