Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows Media Player 12? file types

Posted by turnage (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 6:55

In previous versions of WMP, you could select file types you wanted the player to play. From what I can tell, that is no longer possible in WMP12. Is that true, and how do you find the version number of WMP? The "About" selection in Help is gone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows Media Player 12? file types

What operating system are you using?

If your missing that "About" feature, seems like something is wrong, open and close windows media player, reboot the computer, see if you can get that feature back.

Windows Media Player 12 comes as part of Windows 7.

"In Step 4, you have choice to choose selected file type to play as default with Windows Media Player. You need to click on "Choose defaults for this program" and then select file types that you want to associate with Windows Media Player."

See link below,for more on above.

Here is a link that might be useful: file types that you want to associate with Windows Media Player.

o

Guess I wasn't clear about what I was asking before. I have a new pc with windows 7. On my old XP pc, I use third party software to manage and play mp3 music files. I had to go into WMP-11 tools>options>file types and deselect MP3 so WMP wouldn't try to play them. I just want to do the same on the new windows 7 machine.

o

The link Z provided is what your looking for. You just have to uncheck WMP's file association for MP3.

DA

o

OK - got it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here