Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVASoft Antivirus Professional

Posted by sneaker (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 5:42

Hello, I need help with removing a virus from my computer. Its called AVASoft Antivirus Professional. It is constantly displaying messages and warnings, like this one "Warning!
Application cannot be executed. The file taskmgr.exe infected.
Please activate your antivirus software"

I know its not a real antivirus program because i haven't downloaded it, nor buy it.

How do i remove it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVASoft Antivirus Professional

Go to this Bleepingcomputer page and follow those instructions.

Bleepingcomputer is a very reliable site and has been around seemingly forever so you will be safe there.

o

thank you so much, i followed all the steps shown there and now my computer is clean, hopefully.
But one thing is worrying me, i read in this article (http://www.americanpendulum.com/2013/03/20/avasoft-antivirus-professional/) that this infection makes some changes in the computer registry, how do i know if there is nothing left, for sure?
I have now downloaded an antivirus program, and when i scan my pc, it says that there are no viruses.
thanks again for your help, owbist!

o

Regarding things left in the registry that might well be true. However with the program removed the registry entries have nothing to control so become basically dormant.

You say you have now installed an anti virus program. Is this a pure A/V or a combo A/V and anti malware? If only an A/V program you would be well advised to install an anti malware as well. The popular free program these days is Malwarebytes.

If you are interested it can be downloaded from here. If you go elsewhere be sure you are downloading a legit version because the bad guys have spoofed this program. Also watch carefully if you install that you remove any check marks for toolbars or other stuff you may not want cluttering up your computer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here