Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Software to protect files

Posted by luis_pr (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 5:13

I need to send my pc to have it worked on and was wondering if there is a software package to password protect my business files with. Dell PC with Windows XP Pro. Or is there some other way to do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Software to protect files

You could:

1) put them in a zip file with a password, or
2) copy them off to a card or external drive (you should have important files already backed up anyway), or
3) buy software that password protects files or folders, or
4) don't worry about it.

Under both 1 or 2, I believe "deleted" files are actually not really deleted, the files are still on the drive but have been removed from the directory. PC techs have software that can read "deleted" files. There are other programs you can get that obliterate such data.

If it were me, I'd do 2 and 4. Most things that people think of as private/confidential needing security are usually of no interest to others.

o

Any software out there that will password protect folders?

I tried to search under "password protect files" and just got too many hits. Tried looking in PCWorld & Cnet too but got the same problems,

o

I tried this out once.. seemed ok but a hidden folder works best for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/My-Lockbox.shtml

o

Depending on what work is being done, I would exercise caution with protecting files or at the very least, inform the tech that you have done that. An inaccessible folder might be construed as some sort of infection. If Windows is to be reinstalled, your files will be overwritten, so a backup is a must.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here