Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
high pitched scrill

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 3:12

I have a high pitch sound & can't seem to locate what it is coming from. I have turned off the computer..monitor, TV, printer & still have it. I know it isn't in my head as I turned that LOL..NO I really went into another room & it was gone. My hopes is it will be gone tomorrow as it is very annoying. Any ideas what it can be?
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: high pitched scrill

Know any teenagers? if so, ask for help...they have better ears!

o

Kudzu9,
Believe me I could hear it. I also just figured out what it was. It was my APC. I'm not sure how long it was doing it as I had been gone the earlier part of the evening. I wonder what set it off.. I sure hope I didn't damage the battery. I don't want to have to buy a new one as this one wasn't cheap.. I had to order it.
If I hear it again I know where to look.
Dar.

o

I didn't doubt you heard it. I was just making a suggestion based on personal experience!

o

hmmm...I'm left wondering just what an APC is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acronym APC

o

APC is actually a UPS.

DA

o

Sorry.. I just saw APC on it & called it that..that must be who makes them. I just hope I didn't use up too much of the battery life.

Kudzu9, It was loud enough to be very annoying & could sure hear it but not as loud as I would have thought it should be. It just didn't register what it was. I was getting ready to unplug the whole works & when I saw the plug.. that's when I went uh-oh I know what it is. If it ever happens again I'll sure know what it is right away..
Dar

o

No biggie. It is the same as Magic Marker vs. felt tip pen.

DA

o

wish I had a magic marker in IE

o

MIkie,

You lost me there.

DA

o

Internet Explorer from a couple versions back.. Microsoft had a tool kit.. one of the items was a yellow highlighter I could mark up text with.

Easy to find key words or stuff marked with yellow magic marker / highliter.

o

Didn't know. Thanks. I will sleep better tonight. :-)

DA

o

Ditto. The first one was rejected so I republished it. Then both appeared. Go figure.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 7:50

o

Generally those universal power supplies scream for a reason. The obvious reason is when the power goes out. The other possibility (depending on the sophistication of the unit) when the power is out of preset parameters to warn you something is amiss. If it is indeed a APC (brand) power supply they have the ability to connect to your computer via a USB cable and a free software provided by APC. That software should give you the status of the unit.

As an aside, when the power goes out APC's software calculates the remaining battery life. When the battery level reaches a certain point the software does an orderly shutdown of Windows, which can prevent a host of problems. It's a good feature to have enabled and well worth the cost of a USB cable.

o

Mike,
Mine is indeed a APC with software. I think with my last one I had something like a balloon in the system tray If that is what it is called where the clock is. I don't see it here. I don't know how to find it & see why it isn't there. I probably have the USB cable.
Maybe it is something I should just leave alone :-D
Dar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here