Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
had a difficult virus to find, I understand...

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 1:46

I finally took the Mini to a computer pro.
I had had a 'techy' work on it, which made it worse!
I went to a recommended place, and I guess it took awhile to find the virus.
Now I seem to be fine, although I tried several times today to get on Gardenweb;computerhelp without any luck...
Question: Because I do not do any banking, buying online, I dont worry too much about somebody getting any info.
If I ever decide to do so, does it make sense to buy a ip proxy? Does it really help so that you dont get ID stolen online?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: had a difficult virus to find, I understand...

Proxy service .. hmm .. I like secure things, but I don't like Proxy servers. The free ones anyhow. Unreliable & Slow.. plus who's in the Cache looking around at my logins or capturing my credit card info from there ??/

Maybe before doing that, investige the available router security, if you dont already have one, consider that they make it darn near impossible for someone with your iP to touch your computer on the home LAN side... & look into OpenDNS.com for some added free security, that maybe speeds up your browsing while stopping you from going to some of infected sites. .

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

o
RE: had a difficult virus to find, I understand...

I second the suggestion of Open DNS. It is free, and if you read about it, you will see that numerous libraries, schools, etc. use it. I have it installed on my router and also on my laptop that I take when I travel and use public wi-fi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here