Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Netflix

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 0:49

Is there any way you can get streaming video (movies) on your TV without using your laptop as a modem (or whatever it does)??

Suddenly, in our house, my husband and son discovered streaming movies and my netbook is used for this task. Isn't there something else you can buy to do the same thing?

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Netflix

Yes, you can use a variety of Internet-enabled devices. There are several threads in this forum on this subject. Just do a search on the term: Netflix

Here is a link that might be useful: Streaming-ready devices

o

I guess this is beyond me. I don't want to rent something from Netflix, adding to the monthly charge. I do not want to use a cell phone.

Thought there might be something available in Radio Shack or Best Buy that would allow the streaming without tying up a laptop.

Jane

o

You don't rent the device from Netflix. Netflix sells the "Roku" streaming device for $59.00.

o

Several gaming devices are Netflix ready. We us Wii. The link above to Instantly watch TV shows & movies on lots of different devices. I believe there are some more since that page was constructed.

The whole topic of streaming Netflix could support a forum of it's own but such forums never seem to gather enough steam to keep moving. You can sometimes find answers to specific questions at Need Help with your Instant Watching System?. The people at the General Discussions forum at Streightdope.com often have good answers to Netflix questions. [Someone here once scolded me for mentioning streightdope. I am not sure why.] Searching Gardenweb's Electronics Forum for Netflix I find 10 threads but I did not examine them for quality.

o

jane-
You wrote: "I don't want to rent something from Netflix, adding to the monthly charge. I do not want to use a cell phone. Thought there might be something available in Radio Shack or Best Buy that would allow the streaming without tying up a laptop."

Did you look at the link I provided? It shows all the devices you can use. Since you titled the post "Netflix," my assumption is that you already have a Netflix account. If you do, it costs nothing to stream the movies. You can watch as many as you want for free as part of your Netflix membership. You just need one of the streaming devices I linked you to. So, do you have an account or not?

o

A basic Google search using the keywords "Netflix Streaming" (sans quotes) took me here. Pertinent information as to alternatives linked in the site banner.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Netflix How it Works

o

We also use a Wii and it works great. The Netflix folks are super about talking you through setup, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here